The Hottest New Block On The Chicago Art Scene

Art on West Chicago Avenue is taking over.
455

Chicago's West Town neighborhood has been named the most recent nexus of fine art and culture. Now you can find Chicago's best avant-garde designers, conceptual heavy weights, prominent painters, and world-class conceptual artists all down West Chicago Avenue!

Thaddeus Wolfe at Volume Gallery

The Mission

1431 West Chicago Ave

Michelle Magot Irregular Plane D, 2015 oil on paper 18 x 24 in.

The Mission represents artists from the United States and Latin America, promoting an international dialogue through a diverse program of provocative solo exhibitions and group shows. End of Daylight is a solo exhibition by Rodrigo Zamora, the Chilean sculptor, and painter, exhibiting now through August 5th. Zamora presents paintings that transform objects into amorphous anatomies, challenging memory and perception, specifically within the context of our relationship to our urban surroundings.

The Mission

Matthew Rachman Gallery

1659 West Chicago Ave

Kate McCarthy Lamb of God, 2017 thread, linen, cotton + synthetic fiber 13" x 9 ½" x 3 ⅛"

Matthew Rachman Gallery is an innovative store front gallery space that uniquely features contemporary art and 1960s modernist furniture. Kate McCarthy's multidisciplinary exhibition The Fantastic Nest is a must-see exhibition only on display now through July 23rd!

Matthew Rachman Gallery's upcoming exhibition The Chip opens Friday, July 28th, featuring paintings by Hannah Perry Saucier (on exhibit through September 17th).

Matthew Rachman Gallery

Paris London Hong Kong

1709 W Chicago Ave

Boyang Hou, Practice Makes Perfect, 2016, enamel, gesso on canvas, 19.5 x 17.5 in

Paris London Hong Kong is a private gallery located in the 1709 West Chicago building shared with Western Exhibitions, Volume Gallery and Document. PLHK features world-class contemporary and 20th century art. Be sure to check out PLHK and other West Town exhibitions this September at the start of Chicago Gallery Season.

Western Exhibitions

1709 W Chicago Ave

Richard Hull #3 2016, crayon on paper, 24 x 18 inches

Western Exhibition represents some of Chicago's most compelling contemporary artists. At present the gallery is showcasing 15 artists and one collaborative team, tackling the unique concept of fabric sagging in the middle between two upraised points, using this specific formal gesture to reach different conceptual goals. The group show titled A Sag, Harbored features many of Chicago's heavy weight artists engaging in fiber works. Don't miss A Sag, Harbored, showing now through August 19th!

Volume Gallery

1709 W Chicago Ave

Christy Matson Rays in Brown/Blue, 2013, Cotton, Linen, Tencel 5 x 12.5 inches

Volume Gallery focuses on American design, with a strong emphasis placed on emerging contemporary designers. Summer, typically being the "off-season" in gallery events, is an excellent opportunity for galleries to put on group shows. Volume Gallery offers The Midnight Special, a group exhibition that showcases Volume's various cutting-edge designers. The exhibition will be open now through September 8th.

Document

1709 W Chicago Ave

Elizabeth Atterbury, Slow Song, 2013, chromogenic print, 14 x 11 in.

Document is an innovated gallery that specializes in contemporary photography, film and media based art. The commercial gallery has an incredible group show exhibiting now titled, Paris, London, Hong Kong, Portland, Brooklyn, Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Diego, Oak Park, Berlin. This impeccably curated group show will be on display now through August 26th. (Trust me, you do not want to miss Elizabeth Atterbury's monotypes!)

Paris London Hong Kong, Western Exhibitions, Volume Gallery, Document

Regards

2216 West Chicago Ave

Kristen Van Deventer, Untitled Cabbage, 2016, Oil on linen, 22 × 26 in

Regards is largely a visual arts and performance space associated with conceptual arts. Regrettably, Regards is closed for the summer but will re-open in the fall. Rick Bastis will kick-off Gallery Season, opening Saturday, September 9th.

Regards

New Gallery (Coming Soon!)

2058 West Chicago Ave

Faith Wittrock, King, 2017, acrylic, enamel, latex paint and pencil on canvas 24⅛ x 24in

This gallery space is so fresh it doesn't even have a name yet!

Keep an eye out, this gallery is coming soon!

Founded in May of 2017 by Charlie and John Cibula, this new space will serve as a studio, gallery and residence on the near west side of Chicago. Adding to the growing art hub of West Town Chicago, the gallery will open in September of this year. The exhibition space is a commercial gallery that specializes in contemporary art; painting, photography and fiber based artworks. The new comer gallery will promote the work of emerging local and under represented artists and seeks to strengthen local and global networks, adding to a tradition of growing independent, cooperative and artist-run spaces in Chicago.

The inaugural opening will take place Saturday, September 2nd, 5-9 pm featuring the works of multidisciplinary contemporary artists Faith Wittrock and John Cibula.

Untitled New Gallery (Coming Soon!)