The Best Hole-in-the-Wall Restaurants in Winston-Salem, NC

It's time to trade in Pit chicken for authentic lasagna.

971

Everyone knows once the weekend rolls around, the Pit, Benson, and Zicks are the last places on anyone's wish list to eat. It is time to treat yo'self!

I usually end up grabbing dinner at Chipotle. And while that will never be an issue in my world, I began to wonder... Winston-Salem is a pretty big city, so there are surely many different places I could eat rather than playing it safe at Chipotle. And I'm not just talking about Village Tavern, Putters, or Elizabeth's...I'm talking about the hole in the wall restaurants of Winston-Salem.

The places that only locals know.. They know the in's and out's of the restaurant and the best choices on the menu. To aid you in the process of finding a nice dining option for your Friday night, here is my compilation of the best hole in the wall restaurants in the greater Winston-Salem area:

1. Pan E Vino

Oftentimes, I feel as though this small, intimate restaurant is overlooked because it sits right next to Village Tavern. Residing minutes away from campus in the Reynolda Village, this Italian restaurant cannot fail to please. I suggest you try the lasagna. Few can beat my mom's homemade lasagna, but Pan E Vino is a true contender.

2. Mama Zoe's

Do you ever get tired of Pit breakfast or the standard breakfast bars? Then Mama Zoe's is the place to go.

Their menu is packed with delicacies that are unbeatable. The standard eggs Benedict is a plate that you cannot deny... However, if you have a sweet tooth, the pancakes are the right choice. Personally, I prefer chocolate chip, but Mama Zoe's toppings range from Cinnamon Apple to Banana Walnut.

3. Nawab

If you are an Indian fan, I've found a restaurant in town that will satisfy your curry cravings! Nawab, just off of Stratford, offers Indian cuisine that doesn't break the bank. If you find yourself looking at the menu, I suggest trying out the garlic naan bread and the chicken tikka masala. Nawab is a great off-campus choice because how often does Pit serve Indian cuisine?

4. Mission Pizza

While I love hanging out in Zicks, with their huge slices of pizza as an old gold, Mission Pizza is an excellent alternative, and you get to beat the crowd at Mellow Mushroom. The pizza they serve is comparable to the pizza I've had in Italy. So you can be sure that it is authentic and delicious!

5. Cafe Gelato

I'm pretty sure Italian cuisine and my taste buds have been having a passionate love affair for years. Located on Reynolda, this extreme hole in the wall gelateria is a taste of Italy in America. It serves nine different flavors, ranging from from fruity to coffee-flavored gelato. If you are looking for a recommendation, definitely consider the hazelnut gelato. This is undeniably one of the best ways to find comfort in food.

6. Hero House

Looking for endless options of sandwiches and more? You should try Hero House! Just looking at their online menu might hurt your head, but there truly are endless options to satisfy your taste buds. If you can't seem to make up your mind about a dish, I suggest the Chicken Souvlaki on pita bread. Truly, you can't go wrong with any of the options on the menu, but definitely consider this before swiping in for a Pit sandwich.

7. Di Lisio's

Yet another Italian restaurant to add to my list... Although I have only been once, it was an unforgettable experience. This restaurant truly defines hole in the wall. With an intimate setting and limited seating, be prepared to wait among many others who want to try the delicious cuisine. I suggest ordering the spaghetti. Once again, my mom's spaghetti is truly unbeatable to me, however Di Lisio's somehow made my loyalty sway.

Although I have two more years to explore Winston-Salem, and many more restaurants to add to my list of "must go again's," I can assure you that any of these experiences are well worth the trip. Don't let yourself go through four years at Wake Forest and neglect to try any of these places. While the options on campus have their perks, learn to treat yo'self with some gelato or chile rubbed steak!

*if you know any places that are worth being put on this list, contact me! I am always up for a good food experience.