The Hard Times Make The Good Times Better

Pros and Cons of Long Distance Relationships

46
Uloop

Life while in a long distance relationship can be tricky. Just like any relationship, long distance has its ups and downs. The part that makes it so tricky is, obviously, the distance. Distance can be good or bad, however it also depends on the point of view taken on by the people in the relationship. You can either make the best of the hand that you are dealt, or you can dwell on the fact that you are away from each other. Whichever road you choose is completely up to you, but in the meantime, here are a few high points and low points to consider.

Pros of Long Distance Relationships:

1. You find out how to cherish the time that you do have together.

While in a long distance relationship, the amount of time that you get to spend with your significant other is very limited. However, when you get to see your boyfriend/girlfriend all the time, you tend to take that time for granted. Seeing the person that you love for only short periods of time reminds you of how precious time is. It helps you realize that every moment counts, and should be held near and dear to your heart.

2. Seeing the person that means so much to you is like taking a mini vacation.

When you are with them, it is like there is no one else in the world. Everything else is put on the back burner, and all your focus is on how happy that person makes you. The stress of every day life is taken away, and that is a great feeling to have.

3. Trusting becomes something that you are good at.

While in a long distance relationship, trust is key. You learn how to put faith into the person you love. A relationship that is built on trust is a relationship that never fails. Without trust as a strong structure, a relationship will crumble to the ground.

4. You learn how to communicate.

Communication is a strong runner up to trust. In some people's opinion, it's even stronger than trust. However, from my point of view, communication would be the nails holding together the structure of the relationship, while trust would be the structure of the relationship. Either way, a relationship would be nothing without these two components.

5. Both people in the relationship learn to not control the other.

By not controlling the other I mean not telling the other what to do or who they can and cannot hang out with. The likelihood of them doing it after you say not to is at a higher stake considering you wouldn't know if they did anyways. Your significant other is more likely to do what they know is the right choice if their partner is not pressuring them to do it.

Cons of Long Distance Relationships:

1. ...Distance....

Distance sucks. Point Blank. There is honestly no other way to put it. I will say that the whole "distance makes the heart grow fonder" thing is true, however distance still sucks. You are still far away from the person that you want to be with more than anything in the whole world, and it still hurts like hell.

2. You never know what they may actually be doing while you aren't around.

This is where the trust comes in. Your boyfriend/girlfriend could be out doing whatever they please, and you would never know. How's that for crappy? If you are unable to put trust into that person, then you might as well break it off now.

3. You long to be held by them when times get hard.

When life decides to throw a curve-ball at you and it hits you in the gut, all you will want is to be held by the one person that makes everything better. But you can't be...and it sucks...

4. Everything reminds you of them.

Little reminders of them pop up out of no where and turn the water works on. You'll be in the store and the song that they danced with you in the middle of subway to comes on and you bust out in tears because you miss them so much. True story. (p.s. Yes we looked like fools, and no we did not care.)

5. Dreaming that they are with you, and waking up to the reality of distance.

Dreams can be so real, and typically when they are about being with another person it will feel like it is actually happening. Some nights you won't want to fall asleep because you know that you will have to wake up to the disappointment of reality.

Long-distance is hard, and it is definitely not for everyone. But I will say this, if you love someone you will make it work. No matter what it takes. No matter how hard it gets. There will come a day when you will get to be together, and it will all be worth it in the end.