Being the musician in your friend group

If you've grown up playing music there are quite a few things that you will experience in your lifetime. Whether it's singing, playing piano, or playing the guitar all of these things are bound to happen at some point in your musical journey. For me, since I play guitar, most of these happen quite frequently. I promise though, even if you find yourself in one of these situations that it's not all bad.

1. During the summer you will become the designated bonfire guitarist

It doesn't matter if you're just a guest of a guest. Once someone knows you can play, they'll put one in your hands and happily sing along to whatever you have on the top of your head.

2. You will be expected to know all of the songs

You'll get random requests from people and be expected to know those songs. Even ones that take months to learn. And when you tell them you don't know it nine times out of ten you'll be greeted with a funny look.

3. Better learn how to play "Happy Birthday"

Birthday parties become an even bigger event because now there is someone who can play it on guitar while everyone else sings off tune and embarrasses the lucky person blowing out the candles. If you don't know how to play this just yet I highly recommend you start learning it now.

4. Romance will never be the same

You’ll find yourself falling for musicians on the regular. Something about being able to bond over music becomes a staple in your relationships. Instead of falling for a person for their personality, you'll start to love them when you hear them sing. Instead of being like a normal teenager and crushing on celebrity actors, you'll be crushing on up-and-coming musicians. Now those great people who can't carry a tune probably won't stand a chance with you in the near future.

5. One bedroom apartments are no longer a thing

Your collection of instruments eventually will need its own room. That one bedroom apartment you were looking for before you became musically inclined will become two because you need a whole other room for your guitars. You think I'm kidding? Wait till you have three guitars, a piano, and more music books than you know what to do with.

6. You become known for your guitar

Your "fun fact" for all those high school (or college icebreakers) becomes: "I can play guitar". This may sound basic, but hey at least now you have an easy way out.

7. Instrument jealousy is real

It never fails that you will get instrument jealousy. Let me tell you every time that I see people with a nice guitar that I want but can't afford just yet is torture. Instrument jealousy is a very real problem in the world of musicians.

8. Pick-up lines get worse

Your future will start to consist of people trying to get to know you with the simple "can you teach me how to play guitar" - it doesn't work, I don't understand why they try. It gets turned into a pickup line by guys once they know you can play. Your DMs will become a long void of different versions of, "Wow I didn't know you could play, I've always wanted to learn. Will you teach me?"

9. Suddenly not telling anyone that you play is a huge issue

You won't tell anyone that you play, but they'll notice the guitars in your apartment everywhere and who's they are. When you tell them they are yours, you'll get the occasional friend who has one of the following three responses.

1. "Omg you never told me you play guitar! Girl let me give you the number of my boyfriend's ex-college dropout roommate's number! You should start a band!"

Yes, because I have never thought about making a band before and I want to get stalked by some guy living in his parents' basement.

2."Well, I've never seen you play"

Those words coming out followed by a look of disbelief — like I'm just collecting guitars just because I think they look nice.

Or my personal favorite

3. "Omg you have to play for me"

Then when you say no because you don't play for others, they take it as a personal attack rather than just your own stage fright.

10. You know what you're going to get for your birthday

All your presents will become instrument related. New songbooks, new picks, new strings. Honestly, I love getting new songbooks and new strings, it means that I don't have to go out and buy new ones.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure that most musicians, if not all, will experience at least one of these 10 things in their lifetime. That being said, just go with it and eventually, you'll be able to navigate through these situations.