The Freshman Chronicles

The Freshman Chronicles

Moving out and moving on

97
The Freshman Chronicles

I'm writing this as I pack my life away into cardboard boxes from Home Depot. Down below is the evidence of this. Its upside down I don't know how to fix it for I am Amish when it comes to technology.

Now as you can see we had to double tape the boxes. Get this getting shipping boxes at Home Depot most likely will have dust on them, that dust makes it hard for the tape to stick. My mother, being the nervous wreck she has been, decided to wrap the whole box in shipping tape. Going to take me a good 10 minutes just to get the box open on move in day.

The boxes go out on Friday. I never imagined how sad it would be to leave. Leaving everything I have known and loved for a fresh start in a place I don't know well. Moving is one thing I thought in this whole college process would be easy for me. It really is not easy. Being raised in Ohio, living here for the past 13 years I would like to call myself a native. Even though I was born in the Garden State it is not where I was raised. All of my childhood memories lie in the Heart Of It All. Knowing all of The Ohio State Band songs, a skill I have learned from Saturdays spent at The Shoe. My roommate hearing this talent know think OSU is a cult which it kind of is now thinking about it. We're a cult without all of the fake prophets or satanic stuff. Its a good cult if that can even exist.

Now the true struggle of packing your life away is figuring out what clothes you bring. For me it was as if I was Sophie in Sophie's Choice in which sweaters or cardigans I bring. But good news my cleanse of only eating snow cones the past two weeks because of my tonsillectomy has made me lose 10 pounds. Now a lot of my pants are loose on me which is good. Good not how I came to loose the weight, but good I lost it somehow. Picking out shoes have not that big of a struggle for I am one of those girls that falls in love with a pair of shoes, wears them out till they are horrible, then my mother nags me to get a new pair. This is what I call my shoe cycle. My whole whole collection of shoes fit into my 12 pair shoe pocket hangy thing (I apologize I am too lazy to look up what it is actually called so lets just call it this.)

My mother has been crazy these past few days. Once in the morning she was just staring at me when I was waking up. Kids this is common when you're about to go off to college. Going to Bed, Bath and Beyond with your parental will be an interesting experience. In my experience I took my sassy 8-year old second cousin, Ella, with me to shop for my dorm. I wanted a child's perspective, also I love just how sassy she can be, to make it more fun. As Ella made fun at how bad I was at reading the measurements of my dorm wrong, my mom got frustrated. Trying to figure out how to convert the measurements on most products at Bed, Bath and Beyond to the ones American University gives you for reference is confusing. But I learned that when you give Ella an important piece of paper she can get bossy. Also that she will be much better at math than I will ever be.

In conclusion, future freshman its OK to be nervous. If you weren't nervous now that would be worrying. Let your parents freak out on you for they wont be seeing you for a while. Let them be like spirits following you everywhere because that just means they love you (this does not apply to stalking people.) In the end I know Im going to miss my crazy parents as much as they will miss me. My mom's constant nagging and my dad's shopping habits. Signing off I don't have any clue whats in store but that is all up to me what happens from here. Next up WELCOME WEEK PEOPLE! Struggling with an outfit for the 90's dance. Thank the Lord I have a sibling who grew up in the 90's so they will have to help me.