The Foster Care Clothing Closet's 2017 Donut Dash

A 5k benefiting the FCCC and local foster children.

25
These Sweet Moments

The Foster Care Clothing Closet is a nonprofit organization in Florence, South Carolina that assists local foster families and foster children. The FCCC provides foster children with everything they need to start over in their new homes. Since foster children usually come into care with nothing more than the clothes on their backs, the Foster Care Clothing Closet distributes everything, including clothes, shoes, school supplies, books, toys, and equipment for babies.

However, the FCCC also reaches out to the foster care community in other ways throughout the year with events like school supply drives and Christmas parties. Last June, the first annual "Hot Diggity Dog" 5k run was held to benefit the Foster Care Clothing Closet and the foster families they assist. This year, the Foster Care Clothing Closet is hosting another 5k. However, this year, the theme is different.

On Saturday, June third, the Foster Care Clothing Closet will host their 5k "Donut Dash" at Briggs Elementary School at eight o'clock in the morning. While the event is competitive, with prizes for the top three male and female runners, the 5k is also meant to be fun for families. Halfway through the 5k, participants are supposed to eat three Krispy Kreme donuts before finishing the race.

For the female and male first place prizes, the winner will receive $100 cash, a five class pass for Flow Town Yoga, and a $30 gift certificate to Dolce Vita. Second place winners will receive $50 cash, a 5 class pass for Flow Town Yoga, and a $10 gift certificate to Dolce Vita. Third place winners will receive $30 cash, a 5 class pass for Flow Town Yoga, and a $10 gift certificate for Dolce Vita. Every runner who completes the "Donut Dash" 5k will be awarded a donut medal. The first 150 participants who register will receive a tee-shirt.

Those who would like to participate in the FCCC's "Donut Dash" this year, but wish to receive physical training beforehand are invited to attend "Couch to 5k" training with Yvonne Owens. The "Couch to 5k" training is held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays at McLeod Health and Fitness. Training is held at 5:30 in the evening on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and at 1:00 on Sundays.

Whether you are a beginning or experienced runner, the Foster Care Clothing Closet invites you to come out Saturday, June third, to Briggs Elementary School in Florence. The "Donut Dash" will be competitive fun for the whole family, while helping raise money for a good cause.

If you are interested in becoming involved, please contact Joy McKnight at (843)992-5826 or Anna Patton at (843)801-3758.

Lace up and we will see you there!