The Flame Still Burns: 11 AFI Songs to Listen to

Here are 11 songs from one of the most influential bands in my life

122
MTV

No band has been more influential to me as a person than AFI. I know that is a pretty big claim, but I've felt this way since I was about eight years old. I am 20 years old now.

No band that I have come across in all my years of listening has been able to bring the amount of emotion and vivid imagery that I get when an AFI song is played. The lyrics, the delivery, every aspect of their music is so delicately chosen like they are very much aware that they are breathing life into two to four minutes of music.

My life is very much fueled by my desire to create, something that was instilled in me the more I paid attention to the works of AFI and all side projects associated with the band. For this reason, I can say I probably wouldn't be the same person typing away at his computer. Who knows how I would have turned out?

I know I'm not alone in saying that this band has played a large role in my life as there is an entire community of fans who feel the same. Groups like the Despair Faction and AFI News HQ have sprung up through the band's ability to feed the mind. These fans are as friendly on the message boards as they are in person.

With that said, I've compiled a list of 11 AFI songs as a very small thank you to the band.

1. God Called in Sick Today

My first exposure to this song was actually through their live video series, I heard A Voice. It really captures a sweet spot for AFI as it encompasses their ability to produce soft melodies followed by a powerful force that knocks you back a few steps. Personally, I think this song is the perfect transition from their first four albums to the next five.
And I may or may not have teared up when I got the chance to see this live.

2. The Days of the Phoenix

This song is always great in those moments when life seems to drag on. The fast drum beats and glaring guitar accompanied by the ever so catchy chorus make this the perfect AFI song to lose your mind to.

3. Beautiful Thieves

For many, this album was a significant point of departure from their previous works, and I can see where they are coming from. Their trademark aggressive sound slowly but surely dissipates when listening to this album, but I would argue that it still lives on in their music with songs like this one. Beautiful Thieves brings an undertone of heavy emotion masked in elegance.

4. The Great Disappointment

I can always respect a band for making me feel a certain way, and The Great Disappointment is definitely a good example of AFI's ability to transfer emotion from the record directly into the pit of your gut. This song (and this album, really.) always reminded me of the movie, The Ring, with its dark imagery. For something so beautifully constructed, I don't mind feeling sadness for five minutes.

5. The Secret Ninja

I couldn't make an AFI list without acknowledging their humble beginnings. Though this comes off their sophomore record, it is a perfect example of the band's early punk roots. Even if you're more of a fan of their later works, its hard to deny that these earlier songs don't get you pumped up.

6. The Boy Who Destroyed the World

With Halloween just around the bend, it seemed fitting to include a song off this iconic EP. Much like the song in #5, The Boy Who Destroyed the World offers a machine-gun pace melody that apologetically creates an atmosphere of electricity. Its also worth mentioning that this is my first introduction to AFI. Thank you Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3.

7. Summer Shudder

Possibly my favorite AFI song off of December Underground, Summer Shudder is a tragic song with a sense of falling. Short bursts from the drums gives me that sensation of free-falling, with the guitar riffs helping to glide through the song.

8. A Deep Slow Panic

This song, like many other AFI songs, eerily met my ears at the right time and place. The music of this song gives off a sensation of feeling small in a gargantuan world, and the anxiety that comes with all of that space. At this point in time, I really needed to know that I wasn't alone. AFI delivered.

9. On the Arrow

There aren't many acoustic songs under the belt of AFI, but many that come close. This song off of the December Underground B-Side was a pleasant surprise in that it was purely acoustic. AFI shows in this song that raw emotion mixed with bare instrumentation makes for a song that is sure to hit close to home.

10. The Leaving Song Pt. II

This song is great for blowing some steam. Everything about it is powerful from the depth of its lyrical meaning to the massive instrumentals that are sure to leave you with a shortness of breath after listening to it. And for those fans who have followed the band for many years, is this the end of the cycle?

11. This Time Imperfect (and spoken word)

With AFI being my favorite band of all time, surely my favorite song should live within their library of songs, right? Absolutely. The spoken word piece and This Time Imperfect are my exact definition of everything that is beautiful in the world. I began to emulate this piece by writing poetry, and from there short stories, and from there just about anything I could get my hands on. I owe so much to this song as it had a heavy hand in shaping the way I view the world, and a big factor in how I get through the day-to-day.