Everyone Remembers The "Firsts" Of Their Relationship

“Here's to many more firsts and many more great memories.”

409
Amazon

If you've ever been in a relationship (of any sort), you know the concept well; the "firsts" of the relationship.

There's obviously the first time you meet them, the first conversation you have, the first time you make plans for just the two of you to spend time together, the first time you make them laugh, the first kiss, the first time you say goodbye and then are suddenly bombarded with the feeling of their absence.

There's the first time you fall asleep next to them, the first time they meet your parents, the first time you meet their parents, your first concert together, the first time you cry in front of them and the first time they have to comfort you and you, them.

There's the first "I love you," and that might be the "first" that you remember for the rest of your life because for once, they said that first.

These firsts also happen to be the first things that play back in your mind the first time you realize they're gone. Once you hit that point, there are different firsts you have to experience.

The first time you wake up and realize you're alone again.

The first time you have to find plans for the weekend that don't include them.

The first time you have to sit through a night with your friends trying to distract yourself (and failing) from thinking about what they're doing.

The first time you have to experience the holidays without them around.

The first time you see evidence of them hanging out with another person, and the first time you frantically lurk that person's social media pages to compare yourself to them.

The first time you get that heart-in-your-stomach feeling when you realize that they have moved on from you.

But then, there's the first time you get through a day without thinking of them as often as you have been.

There's the first time you're watching a rom-com and don't spend the whole time lamenting your broken relationship.

There's the first time you go on an amazing girls night out and don't get the urge to drunk call them.

There's the first time you laugh so hard that you can't feel your gut and you realize that you are healing.

There's the first time you see someone else from across the room and make eye contact and realize that maybe it's time for you to move on, too.

Everyone is experiencing different firsts every day, whether they be good or bad. If you seem to be stuck in an everlasting menagerie of firsts post-breakup, don't stress. Just as you thought there would be no new firsts for you after your last break-up, you'll be surprised again, and if this is your first break-up ever, you have no need to worry. Every first feels like the very first, no matter your past. There are still so many firsts in store for you.