The Final Chapter: Graduation

The Final Chapter: Graduation

This is the place that made us lose sleep, but it is also the place that became home.

29
The Final Chapter: Graduation
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/04/23/636285736538502430-403775482_Screen%20Shot%202017-04-23%20at%203.46.51%20PM.png

I feel like just yesterday we were little freshmen, excited to see what the college life would bring us. It is crazy to look back on our four years here and think about all that has happened and how fast it has gone by. The people we met, the ones who stayed, the ones we did not get to keep, and even the ones that came back in the end to finish what they started.

This whole place had such a huge impact on our lives. Some are good memories, and some are ones we probably wish never happened. Regardless of what has happened to us here, we will always love this place.

It is where we met amazing people from all walks; all the stories we heard and the things they taught us. This is where roommates became best friends, and friends became family. This is the place where we have all fallen in love at one point, either with a person, with our future or with our lives here. This is the place where we slowly figured out what we want to do in life, even if it means not being 100% sure what you are doing come graduation day. This is the place that showed us what we are capable of. This is the place that showed us a world outside of our hometowns, no matter how big or small they might be. This is the place that has become our home.

The hardest part might not be leaving this place, but leaving the people. After a long day, it is always nice to come home to all your roommates, all your friends. Pulling an all-nighter was always so much better when you were with all your friends, trying to see how much caffeine our bodies could handle. These are the people who will go on adventures with you, and they are the same people that make watching movies and hanging out on the couch just as adventurous. On days when life really gets you, they are there holding your favorite ice cream, movie, and of course, a bottle of wine. They are there on the good days, celebrating small accomplishments, like doing well on a presentation, or the big accomplishments, like getting a job.

These last few months have been hard. It feels like life is running on an hourglass, waiting until the last grain of sand falls ending our lives here. The anxiety of trying to get in all the good memories, creating as many as you can before it is all over and trying to do the things you have been wanting to do since freshmen year.

Once we do leave here, we will go home, or to whatever new place that will become our home, and summer will begin. When August comes, there will be no packing up the car to head to school. Life will go on and we will not return to this place. There will not be any first night back, going out to the bars with all your friends, seeing everyone for the first time again. There will not be those long move-in days, having your roommates help you rearrange your furniture then ordering a pizza or Chinese at the end of the day. There will not be that feeling of excitement you get in your stomach when you get to town and realize that you are finally back again.

I wish this did not have to end. I wish we all did not have to go our own separate ways. I wish I could box you all up, all of my favorite people, all of my favorite places to go and put you all in one spot, but it is time that we start to part ways.

When I get into my car and drive away from this place, I will be driving with tears in my eyes and a heavy heart, as I leave my friends and my home in the rearview mirror. I will be leaving all the places where I have some of the best memories, like where I first met ‘him’, where we had our first kiss, where I met my best friends, and all the places where we spent those crazy nights. Some of these people I will probably never see again, which I wish would never happen, but that is just how it goes. Some of these people I know I will do everything I can just to hug them again.

Once I get into my car and start to drive away, the final chapter of the life I made for four years will be closing. I will leave this place but I know I will always have the photos and memories to look back on, smiling to myself as I think of these days. But for now, before we leave, I wish I could slow down time, just to savor and cherish every last second before the last grain of sand falls and this chapter closes completely.