The English Language And The Internet

The English Language And The Internet

How the internet is helping change and improve our language.

64
The English Language And The Internet

Since the internet was invented it's become an incredible resource. With the rise and popularity of the internet and other technology new language, abbreviations, and different styles of grammar have developed. This new internet language has slipped into our spoken vocabulary, both ironically and un-ironically. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has started using internet language as a joke, and suddenly found myself using it completely seriously ('same', 'thank' or embarrassingly 'tbh' among other words).

With the rise of these new abbreviations and new words, there has also been a good deal of backlash. A lot of people, particularly older generations if I'm going to be honest (tbh), have claimed these words are useless, made up, and that the lack of grammar associated with the internet is damaging the English language as a whole. The negative reactions stretch beyond just older generations and into younger generations who refuse to adopt this language or grammar structure, who will correct those who do use it--whether about just grammar and spelling mistakes, or to outright mock those who do use these new trends in language.

The idea that this new language is invalid because it is 'made up' never quite made sense. Isn't all language made up? That's how language progresses and changes, by people making it up. New words create new ways for people to express themselves and new ways to communicate what they're doing, how they're feeling with the world. That, to me, is amazing. Language evolves as the world around us changes and requires new words.

Often times too, these new words aren't even new. They are words or phrases that are used in certain communities, but were unable to be accessed by everyone because of distance, or age, or other reasons. With the internet, people are able to learn new things, and new words that may have already existed in some communities are now accessible to more people. More people become aware of these words, and to many people they are new, so the idea of all these new ideas/words popping up on the internet may no be as new as we think.

The internet is an incredible tool that helps us connect with people from all over the world. It helps us shape our language whether want it to or not. Language evolves, and for the better. With more words to express what is happening around us, to us, and how the world makes us feel we are able to speak more clearly when communicating. The internet is surely changing our language in a positive way.