The End Of A Fearless Legacy

The End Of A Fearless Legacy

This is my Valedictorian Speech to the class that "feared none."

32
The End Of A Fearless Legacy
Melissa Griffin

"Maplesville spirit, pride, tradition;
Home we'll always be.
Honor, wisdom, truth, ambition;
And integrity.
Although strong may be our rivals;
None withstand our might.
For we all shall be defenders;
Of the red and white."

Look around. We made it. This, this is graduation day. Are you ready? I know I’m supposed to give this big speech on empowerment and taking the world by storm, but, in all honesty, I’m just as confused as the rest of you. I’m nowhere close to being ready to leave this security blanket that we’ve created around one another. I’ve initially spent my entire life with you guys. I’ve grown up with most of you for 13 years, and some even 14. How in the world can I now be expected to survive alone?

I know we make all these big promises to see each other again, but deep down, we know the truth: this will be our last time together as a class united. Where does that leave us? How can we even fathom the thought of waking up every morning without the comfort that comes from seeing each other's faces? I’ve survived some of the darkest points in my life simply by receiving your hugs, your smiles, your words of support. Just imagining facing my next trauma around an entire new set of classmates is not only terrifying, but it’s heart-breaking. I am literally having a miniature heart attack just thinking about it. But, what I’m saying is something we all need to consider. Are we prepared to deal with a world of our own creation?

Think back for a minute. Think all the way back to fifth grade, or more specifically Mr. Hix’s class. We had some fun times in there, right? From pillow fights as he left the classroom, to eraser wars when he turned his back, class was never anything more than extra time spent with the friends who meant the most to us. However, the only point I’m trying to make in this speech was proven during one of these very rebellions.

I remember throwing my last eraser, and it whizzing past Mr. Hix’s head and hitting his computer screen. As he turned around and I attempted to work up the nerve to confess, Cole immediately says that it was his fault. Yeah. That decision, that bravery, that loyalty right there is the foundation by which our class is built. As the years continued to pass, so did the strength in our class bond.

Go ahead and fast forward a little to Mr. Watson’s class. Remember the day he spent an entire block sleeping in a chair in front of us? Instead of waking him, we simply sat there for over an hour without any disturbance. I’m not saying it was a very ethical decision, but it was one made as a united front. The point was that we never turned our backs on the decisions of our other classmates, but instead made the immediate choice daily to join them in unity.

Take a look back at Mr. Horton’s class. Remember shooting spitballs at the ceiling for weeks, and our horror the moment they lost their stickiness and started falling one day during class? After confessing and being asked who else took part in the crime, none of us snitched. Not a single soul gave another classmate up.

How about Mrs. Plumb’s class? Disregarding this year completely, because we all know how we managed to make it through Pre-cal, think about the day that we started a paper throwing war. Mrs. Plumb was, as usual, furious with us. When she demanded that everyone who had taken part in throwing paper come forward, Jacob chose to stand up and take the blame alone, claiming that the piles and piles of paper balls were his own. Though these acts were the acts that got us pinned as the class of trouble, these acts were also the glue that bound us even closer together. However, as we matured, so did our perception of right and wrong.

I truly believe our stubborn qualities were first displayed to Mr. Hunter during our time in Mr. Undem’s class. One day we decided to take a stand. It began with a class petition sheet and ended with our disruption of class as we stood up to say the pledge. As per usual, we were sent to be lectured at by Mr. Hunter as he once again reminded us that we were supposed to be the “leaders of the school.” He went on to mention how we were supposed to be good role models for the underclassmen to look up to. Ironically, I agree with him 110% on that. However, I believe that we’ve been exceptional leaders in loyalty and justice this entire rise to adulthood.

We fight for who we love, which is each other, and what we believe to be right, despite the overwhelming consequences. When faced with a choice between tradition and what we perceive as unjust, we will always choose the option which protects each other. We are family, we have always been family, and that family commitment will never be erased, despite the unconventional circumstances.

Take a look at me, for instance. Since I was a little girl I have always wanted to be the Valedictorian. I literally cried the very first time I made a B on a test. However, I also have always had a thirst for adventure. Therefore, when the opportunity to leave and become part of the career technical center arose, I jumped at it. I was initially placed in Drafting and Design, but being the academic superhero that he is, Mr. Jay Lecroy whisked me away to the STEM Academy in that very same day. From then on I fell in love with the advanced education and learning environment the STEM Academy offered. I took class upon class to further myself, physically distancing our relationships. However, throughout it all we’ve remained united in our decisions and aspirations. We didn't back down; we rose above.

When told I may not be chosen for Val, I immediately turned to the relationship that I had just recently made with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I gave Him all my worries, all my despair, all my stress. I knew that He saw everything, and that if I trusted in Him the compensation for my hard work would be rewarded in time in His own way. And now, through the blessings bestowed upon my life through My Heavenly Father, I have finally found that peace. Once again, God has showed up and showed out. I am currently, despite the negative odds, wearing a shining gold medallion proving my worth as Valedictorian.

I truly believe that every amount of success I’ve ever received, even pre-salvation, was due to the grace of Jesus. If it wasn’t for my devotion to serving Him, I know I wouldn’t have even survived this year. It has truly been the hardest and most miserable high school year of my entire life, as well as the most tried spiritual journey. However, I know that my Paw-Paw would be least pleased by my academic accomplishments if he were rightly here tonight, but would be more proud of my commitment to attempting to spread the love, power, and word of Jesus Christ throughout these walls. I love you Paw-Paw, and I love every single one of you in here.

Just remember that it’s our stubbornness toward loyalty and what we perceive to be right and wrong that has granted us this day. We have fought through the mother-load together, and came out victorious. As you all go through life just remember how incredibly blessed I am to have been such a beautiful part of this loving family. Don’t lose your stubbornness; don't lose your loyalty. Trust in God, His love, and your faith to lead you throughout every new battle that comes your way. I’m truly going to miss y'all, every single day that goes by. However, we always have the memories, and we will always have the love.

I would like to thank God for everything that I have, Mama for everything that I am, Mr. Lecroy for everything that I’ve achieved, and you guys for pushing my butt through high school, despite my constant whining. I love you. Thank you.