Upgrade Your Hot Chocolate Packets With My Family's Favorite EASY Recipe

Something to warm you up during a chilly winter.

30
Unsplash

For the past two years, whenever it's cold outside and I get the sudden urge to spend $7 on a hot latte, I have gone home and made this hot chocolate instead. It's not caffeinated, but it's ridiculously cheap and SO easy to make. It only take a few ingredients and is perfect for those days when it's so cold you don't want to move.

What you'll need:

- Powdered hot chocolate packets (it doesn't really matter what kind)

- Hot water

- Heavy whipping cream (Or oat milk for a dairy-free alternative)

- Candy cane

- Whip Cream

Now, follow the steps..

1 - Heat some hot water in a kettle

2 - Put your hot chocolate packet in a mug

3 - Once the water is ready, pour enough in to dissolve the coco powder and mix thoroughly. I usually do about 1/4 cup (give or take a little) of hot water for this. 

4 - Fill the rest of the mug with the heavy whipping cream. You can add more water as needed here to keep it warm as you like it, because the whole purpose of the water is just to heat up the cream without sitting over a stove stirring it and possibly burning it. Leave a little room at the top with whip cream. 

5 - Top it off with whip cream and a candy cane! 

Sometimes I'll break off a piece of the candy cane and put it in the bottom of the mug to help it melt faster and taste more peppermint flavor, but you can really do this however you like. I've just found this recipe is way easier than trying to make it from scratch, and way better than instant packets and water!

I hope you love this hot chocolate as much as I do!