The Dos and Don'ts of Interviews

The Dos and Don'ts of Interviews

2

Interviewing for a job or internship may be nerve-wracking, but it's no excuse to make a fool of yourself.Internships and real world jobs are important for us to gain experience and earn the money to survive. In order for you to snatch that important job or internship you must be prepared for the interview. "What do I wear? What do I say? Why am I doing this?" may be some of the things going through your mind. But don't worry --I've got you covered. Just pay attention and take some notes. 
DO:
1. PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE. Preparation is key to landing a job. Interviewers want to see a candidate who has taken the time to prepare what they have to say and compose themselves. Carry a notepad and pen with you along with an extra copy of your resume and references. Also, do your homework about the company. There is a good chance the interviewer will ask what you know about their company. Go through their websites and find information. 
2. Dress nice. No matter what the setting may be, always dress professional. Don't wear your sweats or leggings or basketball shorts to an interview. Dressing professionally shows that you care about getting that job.
3. CONFIDENCE is extremely important. Being shy will not help you in any way. It's not cute either. Confidence helps with your appearance and speech. You want to sound clear and sure of what you are saying. Confidence is an attractive feature to have, and employers want a confident employee. 
4. Have good posture. Most interviews will happen when you are seated. Slouching is a big no no. Having good posture ties in with confidence. It will help you breathe and speak louder. 
5. Eye contact. Having eye contact with the interviewer shows that you have interest and are engaged in the conversation. Don't stare them down, though. Just be sincere in how you do things.

DON'T:
1. Be late. Being late is not good for your first impression. If you are stuck in traffic and you know you will be late to the interview, then call and let them know. No interviewer wants to sit around for a candidate. 
2. Talk about money. Talking about money is important, but don't make it your main focus. You want to seem like you want to help the company move forward. You don't want to appear to want the job only for money. It's most people's focus, but just show more interest in the company, not the money.
3. Appear expressionless. Show some expression in your face when you talk or listen. Having a blank stare might make you appear to be bored, uninterested, or upset. Smiling is the best thing you can do for yourself.
4. Cuss. Cussing is probably one of the worst things you can do during an interview. Everyone has their moments where they slip up and cuss. Mistakes happen. Don't let a cuss word slip. EVER. It's very unprofessional.
5. Fidget. I have this problem and many people do too. Fidgeting is a result of being nervous or bored. If you feel yourself about to fidget with something, then try your best to keep your hands down and your feet planted. Don't fidget with jewelry or anything in your hands. It will distract the interviewer and he or she may not pay attention to what you are saying. Keeping still shows that you are in control of yourself and you won't irritate the interviewer.
These are just a few tips for you to use to prepare for an important interview. If you are interviewing or being interviewed, then you want to have a great first impression. Having a great first impression involves preparation. Preparation is the key to success. Also, you must maintain a positive attitude the entire time and hopefully you land that dream job that you have always wanted.