The Dirty Word

The Dirty Word

Yes I am talking about the "F" word- feminism

5
The Dirty Word
Facebook

This word may make your cringe, it may make you calm, or it may have no effect on you at all but I am about to say it...

Feminism.

How one single word can become so tainted and twisted never seizes to amaze me. You hear the word thrust out the mouths of every political candidate. Negative connotations, positive reinforcements, it does not truly matter if you, yourself do not quite understand what feminism is.

Feminism: noun

1. the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men

Who knew trying to be equal would be such a sensitive and sticky topic?

Let's break this down for a brief moment.

Are women trying to become a supremacy group and run the world? Well no, but it would be super cool if maybe somehow we could get paid the same amount of money for doing the same EXACT amount of work, if not more.

All these feminists are just man haters! Well, once again, no. In fact, you can be a feminist and still love men because our goal is not to put men down, but simply to build ourselves up so maybe one day we can be equal.

Wait, aren't all feminists against doing household chores/ gender roles? AAAANNNDDD No, feminism is about understanding that because you are a woman or because you are a man you do not HAVE to and are not REQUIRED to do those things. If you love doing those dishes and mopping those floors, do your thing girl but no one should force you/ expect you to do so because you are a woman.

But women can't be feminists and feminine, they have to choose one! Well, that is completely false. Feminism is about giving women the freedom to choose how they wish to portray themselves. Feminism has no color, gender, or sexual orientation. Feminism is for whoever decides to put on the cape.

"One girl with courage is a revolution, imagine what feats we can achieve together." Queen Rania of Jordan