The Detox Diaries

The Detox Diaries

Kind of like "The Princess Diaries," only I am a 20-year-old from Michigan and not a Princess of Genovia.

35
The Detox Diaries

If you are like me, then you have probably attempted random diet fads or even skipped a meal here or there. You realize that this probably is not the best way to be "healthy," but you try it anyway. Then after you realize that you did in fact make a pretty common mistake, you start to binge. In my case, that included copious amounts of Bagger Dave's fries, although that is my go-to for any disappointing situation. Let's be honest, neither of these choices will help you in the long run. Sure it might feel great in the moment, especially when you're shoving honey mustard soaked fries down your throat, but then a couple weeks later you see the end result of those fries on your hips.

Hopefully, at this point, a rational human being would realize that a change needs to happen. And so begins the brainstorming period which includes but is not limited to: scanning through (a ridiculous amount of) Pinterest workout pins, Tumblr motivational quote hunting, watching YouTube fitness vlogs, and purchasing many copies of Cosmo, Seventeen and Glamour magazines just so you can rip out the quick workout tip pages. Throughout this period of time a key bit of information is learned, but it is not necessarily the amount of exercise you put in or how many calories you limit yourself a day. It all mostly depends on a combination of it all and carefully watching what you eat. Getting in shape is 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise.

So begins the hard part, implementing all of this knowledge into your daily routine. There are so many different things that you can cut out of your diet and even more unique ways to help balance your system and lead the path of a healthier life. In my Health/Detox journey, I decided to cut refined sugar and breads, but also to add into my morning routine a cup of water with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. I am not going to lie...I am going into my second week of this lifestyle change and I have definitely noticed the lack of everything yummy from my diet, but I have also noticed an increase in my energy and retention. So, so far so good.

The hardest part in doing this is trying to limit your sugar intake. Every good and amazing thing in life contains sugar. It is depressing I know, but you need to get over it or resist for as long as you can. Try to substitute with fruit. In my opinion, mangoes work best for this. They are packed with natural sugar and can easily replace any chocolate bar. The main point is to find something that you enjoy eating that will help take the edge off.

But once you do find that special food that helps to keep you sane, never let it go and never give up.