To the Class of 2016!

To the Class of 2016!

You FINALLY Did It!

8
To the Class of 2016!

To the Class of 2016;

Within the next few days to weeks, you’ll be graduating. You’ll be leaving your high school and all the memories that came with it behind. Don’t worry though, it’s totally okay to reminisce about your former “glory days” and to share those memories with the new friends you’ll make at college, work, trade school, or in your military platoons. However, there are a few things I want y’all to know, things that I wish I would’ve known this time last year.

1. It’s definitely okay to be homesick. (Even if you so desperately wanted to get out of your hometown.)
  2. It’s okay to miss your high school friends and your daily activities.
  3. It’s okay to go back to your high school when you’re home to say hi to teachers you enjoyed or underclassmen you respected.
  4. Don’t be afraid to ask for directions when you get to your new school, it’s a new place no matter how big or small it is.
  5. Get to know your RA, your RD, and the people in your NSO groups; they will be your guiding hand for your first year.
  6. Don’t be afraid if you and your old friends begin to drift apart, it happens, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t still friends.
  7. Finals ARE scary and stressful, but don’t let that discourage you, because if you study and pay attention you’ll do fine.
  8. It’s okay to eat alone, sometimes you just need your space.
  9. It’s okay to explore your options, look into sororities/frats, clubs, intramural sports, and any activity in between.
  10. It's okay to call your mom and ask her questions, because lets face it, we're not adults yet.
  11. Go visit your grandparents, call them, e-mail them, text them about every little accomplishment, they WANT to know, and someday you'll wish you'd have called more.
  12. Don't be afraid to e-mail your professors or go by their office during their office hours; that's why they gave those things to you!
  13. READ YOUR SYLLABUS!
  14. Go on random adventures to explore new places, go to Wal-Mart at 12 AM because your roommate never has, or take a 1 AM trip to Whataburger during finals week, because honey butter chicken biscuits fix everything.
  15. Do something new with your friends, like geocaching.
  16. Go to at least 1 game of EVERY sporting event, even if you don't enjoy it; free t-shirts!
  17. It's okay to have those days where you just want to sit in your room and watch Netflix, but don't make it a habit.
  18. Always ask if a restaurant or fast food place has a student discount; your ID will save you money people!
  19. Write down the funny moments through out the year, and take pictures and snapchat videos of everything, you won't regret it.
  20. Finally, always remember that no matter what, your parents love you and they’re proud of who are.

I wish each and every one of you the BEST of luck and I can’t wait to see what you guys accomplish. Congrats Class of 2016! You've completed you're first step towards your future. Go and chase your dreams.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt