The Care And Keeping Of Succulents

The Care And Keeping Of Succulents

A college student learns how to take care of herself by first taking care of a plant.

137
The Care And Keeping Of Succulents
Pixabay.com

Last month, I visited a huge IKEA store for the first time. The endless shelving units and creative lighting fixtures were really cool, of course. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more interesting rooms in my life.

The best part was definitely at the end, however. As everyone shuffles to the checkout, plants abounded. Big, deep green leaves towered over prickly cacti. So many plants beckoned. My inner Hobbit was euphoric because IKEA’s prices extended to the plants! Most of them were affordable and all of them were beautiful.

Tucked behind some other succulents was the plant that would shortly come home with me. Although I love nature, my thumbs are not very green; I’ve lost some lovely creatures before. I’m not interested in repeating this.

I picked my purple-tipped greenie because I didn’t see another one like it. I was afraid that it might have been left alone, so I silently made a pact with it to love and keep it.

I willingly asked for my dad to take this photo. Two of true loves: my plant and Jimmy Johns.

Terribly cheesy, I know. But a little reasoning – I’m a depressed college student. Or, I’m a college student living with depression. This semester, although full of great things, has recently been tinged with extra depression. I’m not on medicine, so I attribute this natural ebb and flow to living in a non-medicated state. (Full disclosure: I in no way shun medicine; personally, it wasn’t the right choice to continue, but I believe that it works wonders for so many.)

Plants always perk me up. I love natural things immensely, so ponds, trees, rocks and plants really boost my mood. When I saw those stacks of plants, I knew that it was my opportunity to take care of something the way it deserved. I wouldn’t sadly neglect it; I was ready to love something, even a tiny little plant, and assume sole responsibility for it.

This probably sounds dramatic to someone who doesn’t heal by the same methods. For me, plants offer companionship in a way; they grow and grow and grow, and all because of how you provide – or fail to – for them. Sometimes I have a lot of trouble taking care of my basic needs, especially when it comes to sunlight. Having this little plant remind me of the value of Vitamin D – something it needs a lot of – I find myself more excited to go outside. I even took it to the park when my friend and I went to practice yoga. This was a personal achievement. I neglect myself with ease, but I feel responsible for the plant, so I make the effort.

My little friend gets to sit in cupholders. My boyfriend wasn't too thrilled but I think it makes a good addition to the interior.

My IKEA plant is unofficially nameless. Officially, it is a sempervivum calcareum, also known as “Sir William Lawrence.” Sempervivums in general are really tough plants, often considered ‘hardy succulents’; The name sempervivum means “always alive” or “live-forever.” Traditionally, people in central and Southern Europe as well as some Mediterranean islands grew them on their roofs to ward off effects of storms and sorcery. Early Scandinavian countries referred to some succulents as “Thor’s Helper” and hoped that they would ward off demons. This idea of rooftop-protection apparently stems from Roman lore when they were given the name “Beard of Jupiter” and were intended to protect homes from lightning. It spread to Europe and beyond; Ireland picked up on the trend, describing them as “a wee cabbage sat down, on my roof.” Nordic myths believe that the plants are sacred and that the flower is reminiscent of God’s beard.

I have a lot to learn from this little thing. Although I won’t be putting it on my roof, I like the idea of longstanding protection from external forces. If I take care of it, it will take care of me – I think that’s the theory at play.

1. Sunlight is precious. Although different varieties have different needs, most succulents need a lot of sun. Mine needs to be in partial shade when the summer sun beats down, but it should never be shaded entirely. Although my plant is only outdoors when it travels with me, outdoor succulents should be brought inside during cold winters. Six hours of sunlight per day when the plant is indoors seems to be a great estimate for success (but just like people, make sure your plant doesn’t get sunburnt.)

2. Water is necessary. This area really scares me because it’s generally where I go wrong. Succulents and Sunshine blog explains the basics well: “you need to be giving your succulents enough water that the soil gets completely wet. Then, let it dry out completely before you water again. Don’t water it daily and don’t use a spray bottle!” There’s an art form to watering these plants.

3. “Live-forever” doesn’t mean that parts of your plant won’t die. Lower leaves shrivel and die; that’s okay. You shouldn’t be concerned unless your top leaves are shriveling away. This is a good metaphor; as we grow, we leave different parts of us behind. It’s a natural process.

4. Containers should drain well. I remember going on a water coaster ride in eighth grade. I wore jeans and didn’t dry out for hours. Succulents feel the same way. If their homes don’t drain water, they won’t be happy. Diseases and issues with bugs are more likely if drainage isn’t happening. (Terrariums, although cute, are generally not a good idea for succulents; glass doesn’t drain.)

The best thing I’ve learned about taking care of plants is to get to know their individual needs. Learning what works for your plant is so important, and that requires keeping a close eye on how they respond to variations of watering, locations, containers and their overall environment. It’s a beautiful thing to be able to take care of something other than yourself; my plant reminds me of the work it takes to remain healthy – but it’s helped me remember the joy in doing so.