The Brilliance Of Bojack Horseman

The Brilliance Of Bojack Horseman

Why this Netflix cartoon has become one of my favorite shows ever

356
The Brilliance Of Bojack Horseman
Step On Magazine

It may sound crazy, but a show about a cartoon horse almost had me in tears a few days ago. The 3rd season of Netflix’s Bojack Horseman just came out and I binged it all in one day, something I actually seldom do. But this show is special. It’s equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking, and its characters are equal parts lovable and deplorable.

But I’m only here to talk about one character. The enigmatic Bojack Horseman. First, some history.

As the credit song proclaims, back in the 90’s, Bojack, played by Will Arnett, was in a very famous tv show called Horsin’ Around where he played a lovable horse dad who had to deal with the crazy antics of his wacky human kids. Now, cut to present day, Bojack finds himself lost. He has no work, no motivation, and only the company of his lazy but compassionate couch-crasher Todd, played by Aaron Paul.

After 2 decades of lost opportunities and failed relationships, Bojack feels he really has nothing to be optimistic about. His pessimism has now gotten to a point where it’s almost a self-fulfilling prophecy, causing Bojack to push away the people who care about him, and to run away from his feelings.

As bad as it may make me feel sometimes, I can’t help but relate to Bojack. In our modern world, it’s hard to be optimistic. After seeing what a cruel, unforgiving place the world can be, how is it so easy for some people to think “hey, maybe it’ll get better”?

That's the core of Bojack Horseman’s message: when does pessimism go too far, and when is it the only realistic outlook?

The show raises this question by having the few people Bojack care about start to abandon him due to his negative outlook and emotional unavailability. At this point, he is forced to come to terms with his feelings. But then once the moments over, he’s back to his old ways.

And that is why this show is brilliant. There is no “Scrooge” moment for Bojack. There is no sudden realization of his wrong-doing. The show creators know that in the real world, pessimists will always be pessimists. So instead of trying to find some big revelation, it focuses on the little moments. Those little flashes of hope that maybe, just maybe, the world is an alright place, and perhaps it’s okay to feel a little bit optimistic for a while.

For example, in the fourth episode of the season, the universally acclaimed “Fish Out of Water," Bojack travels to an undersea city to attend a film festival. His helmet that allows him to breathe muffles his voice to all the citizens, who all speak an unintelligible fish language. So for most of this episode, not a single word is spoken, but it manages to be one the most enthralling episodes of the entire series.

Halfway through his journey to find the film festival, Bojack meets a baby seahorse who has been separated from his father. At first, he tries to leave it where he found it, but he soon reluctantly decides to try and find its father. So even in this town where he has been nothing but frustrated and confused and lost, he takes time out of his day to help this random kid. And when he finally finds its home, he hesitates before giving it back.

I think we all have a little bit of Bojack in us. We all want a fulfilling life, but we also know how hard it can be, and how it seems so futile to even try to be successful. And if you’ve ever felt that way, I urge you to watch Bojack Horseman. You may find it more resonant than you’d expect.