The Boreas Property: This Land Was Made For You And Me

"Everyone Ought To Enjoy At Least Part of It."

24

Imagine going to visit Yellowstone National Park and having to hike seven miles to see Old Faithful. Roger Dziengeleskiposed this hypothetical to me during our recent conversation because this is the type of Fortress Conservation that the Adirondack Park Agency is being asked to consider when it comes to the Boreas Property. The Boreas Property was privately owned for over 100 years until 2007 when New York State purchased the property using $14.5 million taxpayer dollars. Conservation groups are now asking that the land be classified as wilderness, severely limiting the state’s citizen’s and visitor’s ability to enjoy not only the natural beauty of the property but also their ability to partake in recreational activities and the economic benefits generated by such activities.

Roger, formerly the natural resource manager of the Boreas Property for thirty-four years has been working the group Access the Adirondacks to have the land classified as half wild forest and half wilderness. The wild forest classification is actually much more fitting for the property when one looks at the actual definitions for wilderness versus wild forest. For land to be classified as wilderness it cannot have the imprint of man. Under private management the Boreas Property saw the building of 2 dams, numerous amounts of logging activity, and construction of a 53-mile road network. Private owners also allowed full motorized vehicle access across all trails. Access the Adirondacks is calling for a much more limited use of the property now that it is under state ownership. They would like to see designated trails for snowmobiling, hiking, and horseback riding. Logging activities would also be discontinued.

Allowing for a larger breadth of activities and making access to the land and its ponds easier means that more people will be able to enjoy this newly added land. While some might call the cost of land stewardship into concern, as naturally the more people utilizing the resource means that more maintenance will be necessary, this need not be an issue. The only people who would utilize this land but not contribute to the cost of its upkeep are those who strictly hike it. If you are snowmobiling, fishing, or hunting then you are required to buy a license. Fees from those licenses are put towards land maintenance and conservation efforts.

This belief in multiple use conservation is what Access the Adirondacks has been advocating for through public hearings, their website and their Facebook page. By investing in a solid infrastructure, Roger and the group believe that everyone can enjoy the beauty of the Boreas Property. So far turn outs at the public hearings have been strong, particularly in Schroon Lake, Canton, and Northville.

There are a substantial number of communities that stand to benefit, especially from the off-season tourism potential. New York State has been acquiring land in the Adirondack Park since the 1970’s; however, the cap on the amount of snowmobile trail miles put in place in 1970’s has remained the same. This has left some towns out in the cold in terms of revenues to be had from these winter warriors, specifically Newcomb, Minerva, Long Lake and Indian Lake.

Opening up the Boreas trail system to snowmobiles might help give these town’s economies a leg up during those long winter months. In addition to the winter, the fall and early spring are other seasons that could benefit with increased tourism to Boreas for hunting and fishing trips. As someone who has watched a town shut down for nine months out of the year, I do not think it is fair to limit the usage of land that has already seen so much human intervention. The argument in the case of the Boreas property is not over the forest itself but rather the use of the trails. Neither side wants to see the forest harmed and allowing the public to see how truly amazing nature and the Adirondacks can be is honoring the original intent behind the park’s creation. Roger summed it up best; “The park belongs to everyone and everyone ought to be able to see at least part of it.”

If you would like to support Access the Adirondacks in their cause please check out their website or Facebook page.

Additionally, to send your support for the Boreas property to have a classification of half wild forest and half wilderness, please use this link to send your message to the Governor and the Adirondack Park Agency.