Strange Fruit: The Birth of a Nation

Strange Fruit: The Birth of a Nation

A review of Nate Parker's The Birth of a Nation

38
Strange Fruit: The Birth of a Nation
Google Images

Hello Reader, welcome back. This is going to be a shorter than usual review so let's hope right into it. As of now it's been about thirty minutes since I've seen Nate Parker's new film The Birth of a Nation and I must say, this is easily one of the best films I've seen this year. This true story of the life of Nat Turner and his rebellion has been expertly brought to life with masterful cinematography and superb acting from all involved. This film is dealing with a touchy subject but I feel it should be viewed all. This is a movie that you'll keep talking about even after you've left the theater and I will talk about a few points why.

It starts at night with a young boy and his mother running through the woods towards the sounds of drums and whispers. They come to an old shaman in the woods by a fire as he begins to speak about the importance of children in the Old Land. This child has three marks down his chest that represent his future as a leader and a prophet to his people. This child is none other than a young Nathaniel Turner. This boy befriends the master's son and begins to be taught how to read by reading the Bible until the old master passes away and he is sent to the fields to pick cotton. He grows up to become a pastor among his fellow slaves and his journey begins.

Nat is played by the writer and director Nate Parker(The Great Debaters, Secret Life of Bees) as he takes on the role with a pride that is rarely seen in films dealing with slavery. His portrayal of Nat Turner is emotionally stirring and worthy of the Academy Award. There is a scene in this movie that I swear that their was not a single dry eye in the audience. Aja Naomi King (The Blacklist, How to Get Away With Murder) is heart-breaking as the loving wife of Nat. Armie Hammer and Jackie Earle Haley are convincing slave owner and catcher respectfully. The evils committed under their watch and by their order or action is enough to turn the strongest stomach.

As I said earlier this film is expertly shot and really captures the life and times of the enslaved during Nat Turner's life. The torment and ostracism, the belittlement that is captured on the camera is sometimes too gruesome for the casual viewer. Beyond that however, there are times of love and joy that are shown and really encapsulate the culture of the African slave in America. The music is also amazing and is weaved seamlessly into the movie and really guides the emotions of the narrative. A eclectic mix of hymns and tribal drumming and songs along with old spirituals makes for a stirring and passion evoking soundtrack.

The music, the acting, and the pulse pounding, heart wrenching story makes me give this movie a solid 9 out of 10. Don't believe me go see for yourself why this is easily one of my top films for the year 2016.
On a personal note: I didn't see this film on opening weekend, I'm maybe a couple of days after that but I am disappointed at the lack of people I saw in the theater. I went with my girlfriend and a few of my friends and besides us there may have been five other people. This is a film that is actually a masterpiece and deserves to be seen by all, but honestly it deserves to be seen by everyone because of the history that is presented nearly in an unapologetic fashion. The brutality of the wicked slave masters and the retribution given by Nat Turner and his crew of rebels. In these uncertain times where children are shot down like dogs in the street by police simply because of the color of their skin, where young Black men are brutalized and killed under suspicion or out of "fear for life" and a white young man can walk into a church and mercilessly kill nine Black people and be apprehended calmly by the police, in an uncertain time where a preacher whose car was broken down and was murdered in cold blood because he looked like a "big bad black man"...this is a film that is to be seen. The Bible says that, "My people perish because of ignorance..." and if we continue to ignore the warnings left behind by history then we are in fact doomed to repeat it. This is Patrick Smith telling you good luck, and keep on watching.