Why Bates Motel Is The Best TV Show Right Now (Unconventionally)

If you haven't yet seen A&E's Bates Motel, then you are missing out on something glorious.

344
Hollywood Reporter

For about three years now, Bates Motel has been my all time favorite show. I got addicted to it because I saw the second season promo on A&E and watched it over and over until it got sickening. I simply had to get my hands on the whole thing and binge watch as fast as I could. It took me two whole days to finish the entire first season and all of the cast interviews. I was deeply in love with a fictional show. I wrote fan fiction, collected memorabilia, and re-watched on my off days. If we come in contact... I will tell you to watch this show. And while it’s not conventional, it’s still my all time favorite. You can have your Shameless and Game of Thrones, but this will always be my favorite. And here’s why…

1. Norma's Wardrobe

Mama always has that vintage appeal.

2. Alex Romero

The world's biggest (and coolest) badass.

3. Norman’s Blackouts

The poor young psychopath always gets so distraught *sad face*

4. Season Four

Norman went to a psych ward. Norma got hitched. Dylan left home. All good stuff.

5. The Russian Goddess That Is...Vera Farmiga

‘Nuff said...

6. The OTPs

I’m not gonna drop any ship names but...I’ll just leave this right here

7. Emma Decody

The doe eyed sweetie that stole our hearts in Season One

8. The random humor

Because you can always find humor in darkness!

9. The many freakouts of Norma Louise Bates

Within the course of four seasons, this cutie has ran over signs, beat up lawyers with her purse, and swore to fight the asses of all the towns folk till she was dead.

10. The old school vibes

Who doesn’t like a little Mr. Sandman on a summer afternoon? Or how about a roaring laptop screening of Double Indemnity?

11. Character connections

It’s like a White Pine Bay web. Everyone is or becomes connected somehow.

12. White Pine Bay

Because any town filled with murder and drug rings MUST be scenic right? Honestly, it gives me major Twin Peaks vibes and I am not at all mad at that!!

13. Dylan and Norma’s evolution

From estranged at birth to being closer over Norman’s illness. It was truly a beautiful ride.

14. The villains

From Zach Shelby to Abernathy to Bob Paris to Nick Ford...the whole show, every season has at least one or two key bad guys. Luckily we have Alex Romero!

15. Norma and Alex (the Unicorn Union)

The most beautiful couple to ever grace the television screen … #Normero

16. Bates Motel on Crack

YouTube it. I dare you.

17. Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin

In the words of Janis Ian: The greatest people you will ever meet.

18. The underground feel

Seedy is one word I would use. You know this show is something not everyone watches and when they do...there is a good amount of shock value.

19. Bradley Martin’s epic death scene

That one took everyone by surprise. The first real time we see Norman kill as Mother...and boy was that cinematography epic!

20. Norma’s re-birth

My what dead eyes you have, Mother...

21. Norman's black socks

The best mother/son argument you’ll ever witness on TV.

22. Caleb’s awkward dinner speech

“To Norma Louise…” and the crickets ensue

23. Mother

She’s only a figment of psychotic imagination. But boy oh boy does she pack a powerful punch when called upon.

24. Norman as Mother

Some may call him a mama’s boy but imitation is the best form of flattery.

25. Freddie Fucking Highmore

To go from Charlie in the Chocolate Factory to something as intense as this role is pretty incredible. I don’t think they could’ve found anyone better to play Norman Bates.

26. Keith Summer’s death scene

What happens to this horror honey within the first 25 minutes of the pilot is truly heartbreaking. However...her revenge is a wonderful thing. Very I am woman, hear me roar.

27. The awkward moments of Sheriff Romero

The Big Daddy of White Pine Bay, Big Shot, Unicorn, Sheriff Bulldog...no matter how you spin it, Sheriff Romero will always be the most awkward yet bruting man alive.

28. Creepy taxidermy

Bird everywhere. Loads and loads of stuffed birds.

29. Chick Hogan and the Enchilada Casserole

Did he threaten Norma? Yes. Did he wanna find and kill a man? Yes. But was he one of the best “bad guys” on the show? Absolutely! He even had the courtesy to bring Norman a casserole for his grief.

30. The I’ll Be Home For Christmas montage

Unfortunately, it would be the last Christmas for this lovely lady </3