The Best of 2019

The Best of 2019

With 2019 ending and 2020 starting, here's a look at the most influential parts of 2019 in music, movies and tv shows.

5
Photo by Erwan Hesry on Unsplash

Movies

Some of the most anticipated movies were released this year, and some of them made 2019 into what it is. Although it's numbered, it's not ranked.

1. Midsommar

One of the most talked-about movies in 2019, 'Midsommar' truly shocked everyone with it's disturbing scenes in broad daylight. It was one of the best horror movies and is still meme-worthy on Twitter.

2. Endgame

The biggest superhero movie of not only the year but the entire Marvel universe, the highly anticipated face-off was well worth the wait. It'll be remembered by everyone.

3. Joker

Not only was this supposed to be the come-back of DC but also the whole Batman universe as well. The new take on the origin story of the Joker was well received by audiences and even incited excitement about the movies to come.

4. Jojo Rabbit

This movie is the embodiment of dark humor with beautiful scenery. Jojo Rabbit is a must-watch on my list, it was one of the best movies to come out of 2019. A film about Hitler had the capability to make you leave the theater hopeful.

5. Us

Jordan Peele did it again with his new horror movie in 2019. The chilling story of Adelaide held a deeper meaning, as he always does, and really captivated the audience with Lupita Nyong'o acting.

Music

Music is a bit harder to pinpoint to say what was a good album because it depends on your taste. Basing it off of what really took off in 2019, here's a look at the albums that I think did it's best.

1. Norman F*cking Rockwell - Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey delivered with her 13 songs album, after quite some time without releasing music. It had a nostalgic feel and was the talk for quite some time.

2. Igor - Tyler the Creator

This album is probably the one album I always referenced throughout 2019. It was the album everyone had listened to and was talking about when it was released. I'm sure that 'EARFQUAKE' will continue to be played.

3. Cuz I Love You - Lizzo

Lizzo really made an impact this year, it's easy to say that she was probably the most influential artist especially with her 'Time Magazine' cover. With that being said, her album was what made her artist of the year. Definitely worth a listen.

4. Fine Line - Harry Styles

Although released at the end of the year, 'Fine Line' was included because of the build-up. Around the release of his album, Harry Styles was the only thing being talked about.

5. When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? - Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish has been getting quite a buzz for a while but with the release of her new album, she really gained momentum. Her music has been subjected to a lot of praise and criticism, but her album was listened to a lot.

TV Shows

Each year the amount of tv shows increase and the amount of time to watch them decreases, but 2019 left us with plenty of binge-worthy material.

1. Fleabag (Season 2)

The winner of three Emmys, the second season of Fleabag was well worth the wait. Original writer, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, said she wouldn't come back for a second season but surprised us in the best way possible. The first season was almost too good to top but believe me when I say the second season is even better.

2. Stranger Things (Season 3)

The show that took over Netflix came back for a third season with the children growing up. A welcome addition to the already exciting show, the third season added a lot of new elements about friendships and love.

3. Unbelievable

The story about a real-life case was a startling look into how rape cases are handled by law enforcement. There isn't much to say about this show besides that it's worth the watch, it has some heavy material that makes you feel exactly what it feels like to not be believed.

4. Euphoria

This show caused quite the stir and impacted not only tv but makeup and fashion. Not just one but almost all makeup gurus were posting 'Euphoria' inspired makeup tutorials. It includes dark elements in what is seen as high-school life now.

5. Game of Thrones (Season 8)

I'll be honest, this show is only included because of its impact on pop culture. Despite your feelings about the finale, it's hard to dispute that 'Game of Thrones' didn't have a cultural impact. The build-up to who would be on the iron throne was well discussed and watched globally.

2019 was an amazing year for new content and with the start of 2020, I'm sure we'll be getting even more.