The Best Horror Films Of All Time

The Best Horror Films Of All Time

What's your favorite scary movie?
69

We all know them. We all love them. Leatherface. Jigsaw. The Ghost Face Killer. Michael Meyers. Horror movies are always coming up with new iterations of these classic horror icons, yet still we have a soft spot in our hearts for the originals. Below I have what I believe - no, what I know - to be the best horror films of all time.

10. "It Follows" (2015)

"It Follows" is downright unsettling. After a strange encounter with a man, our main character sees macabre visions haunting her everywhere that she goes. It could look like someone you know or it could be a stranger in a crowd. Whatever helps it get close to you.

9. "The Blair Witch Project" (1999)

"The Blair Witch Project" is the film that started the whole found footage phase, and for that it definitely deserved a spot on this list. It follows three college students making a documentary about local legend, The Blair Witch.

8. "Hush" (2016)

Hush follows a deaf woman who lives alone in the woods. Not a good idea in a horror movie. It ultimately turns deadly in a fight for her life; but how do you fight back if you don't know where the enemy is?

7. "Trick 'R Treat" (2009)

"Trick 'R Treat" is one of the first of its kind since the release of "Creepshow." The anthology follows the lives of several messed up people, all connected by the strangely cute monster, Sam.

6. "Scream" (1996)

Arguably the most meta movie of our generation, "Scream" managed to be both laugh-out-loud hilarious and nail-biting scary. What's your favorite scary movie?

5. "Friday the 13th" (1980)

Sean S. Cunningham created a horror icon with this 1980 film. Spoiler Alert: Jason Voorhees is not the killer in the cult classic; what a mother will do for her child...

4. "A Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984)

Wes Craven is arguably one of the most amazing creators to ever contribute to the horror world, not only giving us meta, but also giving us the one and only Freddy Krueger. Also, who isn't creeped out by the jump-rope girls singing the haunting "Freddy" song?

3. "The Conjuring" (2013)

This unsettling film follows the infamous Ed and Loraine Warren as they take on a new case of haunting. It did so well that it even gave us the craptastic spin off, "Annabelle." Yikes.

2. "Goodnight Mommy" (2014)

In case you haven't noticed, children creep me out. In this 2014 German horror film, twin boys try to discover what happened to their mother after some sort of facial surgery. Trust me, it's creepy, and not for the faint of heart.

And, in my humble opinion, the greatest horror film of all time is, in fact:

1. "Halloween" (1978)

Look, it's based off of a national holiday. What's not to love? Michael Meyers is relentless, brooding, and has no problem offing anyone who gets in his way. Jamie Lee Curtis is the Scream Queen of the century.