You Can't Go To New Orleans Without Eating These Foods

The best food from The Big Easy.

12
Irene Yi

New Orleans is famous for its jazz, art, and food. In fact, missing out on The Big Easy's food would be devastating! I've complied a list of foods that sum up this unique city's taste, and here they are:

1. Gumbo. You can't go down south without trying gumbo!! This is a stew that contains stock, meat, and what 'Nawlins people call the "Holy Trinity" of vegetables (celery, bell peppers, and onions). There are so many kinds--seafood, chicken, shrimp, sausage, you name it. It's delicious poured over rice, or you can just drink it like soup.

2. Boudin ball. This is a Cajun specialty. It's like a sausage made from pork, rice, and sometimes celery. If that doesn't sound good enough already, the boudin ball is then infused with some cheese and deep fried into a savory sphere.

3. Fried Alligator. This might sound disgusting at first, but it's a must-eat. With the abundance of swamps and alligators down south, fried alligator was inevitably going to become an iconic dish. Some people might say it tastes just like chicken, but I think it's a little fattier than the consistency and texture of chicken.

4. Oyster. No duh! When you're near the sea, you have to eat some fresh seafood! At many restaurants that serve fresh oyster, the servers pop open the shells in front of you to highlight peak freshness. This is usually served by the dozen or half-dozen, and it comes with a red sauce, some sort of ginger wasabi, and lemons.

5. Po-Boys. Southern states are so proud of their po-boys. These are Louisianan style sandwiches with a form of meat in them. You can have anything from ham to sausage to oysters to fried shrimp; personally, I like the fried shrimp because it gives a unique crunch to each bite.

6. Turtle Soup. This, like the fried alligator, might sound a little cringeworthy at first, but it really is something special. It's actually considered somewhat of a delicacy, and it is made (usually) from the common snapping turtle that roams the swamps of Louisiana.

7. Pecan Pralines. Just like Mackinac Island is famous for its fudge, NOLA's known for its pralines. I like to think of these as caramel-like blocks of solid sugar. They're sold almost everywhere, and they will for sure satisfy your sweet tooth.

8. King Cake. This is a Mardi Gras staple. It's a round cake decorated with Mardi Gras colors--green, purple, and yellow. These cakes are sweet, and sometimes have even sweeter fillings inside. Do you know what else hides inside these cakes, though? A small figurine! Traditionally, there will be a small plastic baby (to represent Baby Jesus) hidden in the cake somewhere; the lucky finder has the obligation to bring the next celebration's King Cake.

9. Beignets. You're probably drooling just from reading about all these foods! If you think you'll be full after eating all this, you're wrong. You have to save room for beignets! These are French donuts with powdered sugar on them, and Cafe Du Monde serves the most famous, fresh beignets. You can get them with a side of coffee or hot chocolate, and each bite will leave you wanting more.