The 5 Best Brunch Spots in the West Village

Because brunch is more than a meal. It's a lifestyle.

177
@katieschaffstall13 on Instagram

For many New Yorkers, brunch is more than a meal; it's a lifestyle. Whether your motive for brunch is to spend time with friends or to cure a hangover from the night before, New York City is full of endless options when it comes to restaurants that provide the meal. While each neighborhood has a handful of restaurants that serve Instagram worthy meals, the West Village, located in lower Manhattan, shines the brightest when it comes to brunch. Whether you're taking a stroll through the neighborhood on a weekend morning or intentionally ride the ACE trains to have a meal, consider one of these brunch spots the next time you're craving breakfast food.

1. Ellary's Greens

The restaurant, located at 33 Carmine Street, is a quick walk from the W 4th Street subway station. Ellary's Greens prides itself on its local, organic, and natural menu items. When you taste whatever delicious meal you choose, you notice how fresh the food really is. The brunch menu offers everything from Avocado Toast, to Stuffed French Toast, to Kale Mac & Cheese. The menu clearly labels a variety of vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and dairy free items, so the majority of your food allergies and preferences are covered. Whether you're craving breakfast or lunch, Ellary's Greens is bound to offer something to your liking. Brunch is served on weekends from 10:00 AM to 3:30 PM.

2. Bluestone Lane

Directly across the street from Ellary's Greens is one of the two West Village Bluestone Lane locations. Located at 30 Carmine Street and 55 Greenwich Avenue, the Australian restaurant offers a variety of breakfast options, such as Red Baked Eggs, Bacon & Eggs Rolls, and their famous Avocado Smash. For those in need of a caffeine fix, Bluestone Lane offers the typical hot brewed coffee and cappuccinos, as well as Matcha Lattes, Golden Lattes, and Aussie Iced Chocolate. The food and beverages are as delicious as they are Instagram worthy. Brunch is served weekly from 8:00 AM to 4:00PM.

3. Jack's Wife Freda

The American-Mediterranean bistro offers some of the best brunch in Manhattan. The West Village location at 50 Carmine Street menu consists of mouthwatering items like Rosewater Waffles, Green Shakshuka, and Madame Freda, which is a pressed sandwich with duck prosciutto, cheddar béchamel, gruyere & a sunny side up egg. For those that want a boozy bruch, multiple wine and beer options are available on the menu. A bonus is that brunch is offered throughout the weekdays, as well as the weekends beginning at 8:30 AM.

4. Westville

Westville has expanded throughout the city with multiple locations, but the original restaurant resides in the West Village at 210 W 10th Street. The restaurant specializes in simple and fresh American food. The cozy atmosphere of Westville creates a homey feeling as you eat brunch with friends. The menu features items like Poached Eggs over Kale Salad, Homemade Granola, Baked Challah Bread French Toast, and the Westville Market option of choosing from a variety of prepared vegetables as either a side or as a meal, which also makes for a perfect appetizer dish to share with friends. Westville opens at 11:30 AM on Monday throughout Thursday and at 10:00 AM on Friday through Saturday.

5. The Butcher's Daughter

The Butcher's Daughter, located at 581 Hudson Street, is a plant based restaurant that self identifies as a "vegetable slaughterhouse," as well as a juice bar and cafe. All of the meals featured are vegetarian with multiple vegan and gluten-free options, as well. The restaurant is dedicated to serving local and organic produce and changes the menu daily in order to serve the best quality of food. Simple Juices, Heritage Juices, Elixir Shots, and Smoothies, as well as coffee and tea options are available to start off the meal. For those that want to begin their alcohol consumption early, multiple mimosa, beer and wine options are also offered. Menu item consist of a Coconut Yogurt Parfait, Smashed Avocado Toast Eggs Benedict, Spicy Kale Caesar Salad, and an Egg Sandwich Platter. The Butcher's Daughter serves brunch on the weekends beginning at 8:00 AM.

Whether you're a true New Yorker or in town visiting, brunch is an essential part of the New York experience. It's no secret that New York City is expensive, and the same goes for many of the city's restaurant. If you're going yo splurge on food, make sure you're spending your money at a restaurant that will serve you a meal that's worth it. Next time you're craving brunch, head to the West Village and try out one of these restaurants. While the wait times may be long, the food and number of likes on your Instagram post will definitely be worth it.