24 Albums To Listen To On The Open Road

24 Albums To Listen To On The Open Road

Chase those white lines, and treat yourself to some ear candy while you do it.

421
24 Albums To Listen To On The Open Road
Public Domain Pics

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my Jeep. When you attend school 8 hours away from home, that’s 500 miles spent chasing white lines each way. To some, that sounds dreadful, but I love it. Driving alone gives me time to think and just be alone for a while with nothing but the road and some good music. As a lover of all kinds of music, it’s a great time for me to listen to whole albums, playlists, or explore new music.

Listening to entire albums is a lost art – true artists try their best to create an album that is meant to be listened to as one whole work. The following albums are some of my absolute favorites that are best listened to when behind the wheel – even if they’re not the usual genre you listen to, I encourage you to branch out and give them a try.

I included a few tracks from each album that aren't necessarily popular or were never released from the album that I think are particularly great songs for the road.

1. Lord Huron - Strange Trails

Start to finish, this is easily one of my all-time favorite albums to listen to on the road when you just need an easy listening, melancholy sound. I was listening to this album once when I was driving through parts of the Smoky Mountains early one morning during sunrise, and I honestly felt like I was in a movie.

Try these tracks:

The Night We Met

Way Out There

Cursed

La Belle Fleur Savage

2. Chris Stapleton - Traveller

Whether you’re a country fan or not, it’s hard to deny the raw power in Chris Stapleton’s voice. His sound is as close to genuine country/southern rock (without delving into “red dirt” territory) as it can get anymore, and country music is deeply rooted in themes of traveling and “life on the road.” Not to mention, the actual album is titled Traveller – if that gives you any hints into the theme.

Try these tracks:

Daddy Doesn’t Pray Anymore

Traveller

Whiskey And You

Might As Well Get Stoned

3. Lorde - Pure Heroine

This is one that I strongly recommend listening to as a whole. When this album came out, I was a recent high school graduate and the words struck a chord with me and still have deep meaning to me this day. This album was released in the fall, and I still find myself gravitating to it when I’m driving through fall foliage because it reminds me of the first time I ever listened to it. This is a special album to me, and I think it can be best experienced while driving.

Try these tracks:

Buzzcut Season

Ribs

A World Alone

White Teeth Teens

Still Sane

4. Miranda Lambert - The Weight of These Wings

This is another album that holds a special place in my heart. So much so that I even bought it on vinyl so I could enjoy it with an old sound, too. These songs are raw and real and have so much depth to them. Many of the songs have themes of moving on, traveling, and driving in general. It’s rare that I make it through a long drive without at least playing a few songs from this album, if not the whole thing. It’s a monster of an album with a whopping 24 songs, but none of them disappoint. By the time you finish, you’ll be wanting more.

Try these tracks:

Running Just in Case

Highway Vagabonds

I’ve Got Wheels

Getaway Driver

Dear Old Sun

5. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park

Similar to Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves songs have a lot of themes of roaming and traveling. They also have a similar sound; however, I think Kacey’s sound is a little more vintage as she uses a lot of older instruments commonly heard in early country music. Everyone raves over Taylor Swift writing such relatable songs, but I challenge any Taylor Swift fan to listen to Kacey Musgrave’s songs and tell me they can’t relate to every single one in some way or another.

Try these tracks:

Back On The Map

My House

Silver Lining

Follow Your Arrow

6. Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material

Can you tell I love Kacey? Seriously though, both of her albums are just that good for road music that I had to include each. Her sophomore album goes even further into western roots and you’ll feel like you’re driving cattle on the prairie or exploring the southwestern deserts. It definitely goes down as one of my favorite albums of all time because each song gets better than the last, and I feel like each one was written for me.

Try these tracks:

Cup Of Tea

Die Fun

Family Is Family

Dimestore Cowgirl

Miserable

7. Beach Baby - No Mind No Money

For those who like a little more rock in their lives and want to feel like you’re driving along a beach coast – this one is for you. I absolutely love this album while I’m driving because it’s steady and easy listening. This is Beach Baby’s first album, and I’m certainly looking forward to more.

Try these tracks:

U R

Smoke Won’t Get Me High

Powderbaby

Limousine

8. Post Malone - Stoney

Okay, I’m not afraid to go a little mainstream here because seriously, this album deserves it. I could not be happier that Post Malone is finally getting the credit he deserves because the dude is talented. I can honestly say there is not one Post Malone song or feature out there that I don’t like. Most casual listeners just think of him as a standard rapper, but if you listen to his album you’ll see he can do so much more. He actually has a lot of country influence and uses a lot of acoustics in his music. Those country roots in his songs help it become an easy favorite for a road album.

Try these tracks:

Feeling Whitney

I Fall Apart

Leave

Big Lie

Broken Whiskey Glass

9. Russ - There's Really A Wolf

Russ has been picking up a lot of attention lately and is finally reaching a point where he’s becoming a regular name in the hip-hop industry. Though he’s been around for years and has a TON of songs/albums out, his latest album is really gaining popularity. If you like this album, I encourage you to delve into his older stuff and you won’t be disappointed. This guy produces everything on his own and is truly “self-made.” He has a lot of variation in his sound which is why I like throwing this in on road trips for a little pick-me-up.

Try these tracks:

Cherry Hill

Ride Slow

I’m Here

Pull The Trigger

10. Big Sean - I Decided

For a rap album, this thing is seriously complete. I can listen to this start to finish and want to put it back on repeat when I’m done. Big Sean has always been great at making albums that really go together and aren’t quite as random as most rap albums. Like Russ’s album, this album is a great pick-me-up on the road and keeps me focused.

Try these tracks:

Jump Out The Window

Voices In My Head/Stick To The Plan

Sunday Morning Jetpack

Owe Me

11. Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic

Classics are always a good way to go on the road, right? Aerosmith is one of my all-time favorites, and out of their many many albums, I truly could listen to this one on repeat. Especially behind the wheel. Plus, this album has two of their best on it: Walk This Way and Sweet Emotion.

Try these tracks:

Adam’s Apple

Big Ten Inch Record

Uncle Salty

Toys In The Attic

12. Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree

If you’re feeling a little alternative while on the road, I encourage you to play this one from start to finish. It’s another one of those albums that I always go back and listen to and I swear it gets better every time. I was a huge Fall Out Boy nerd when they first emerged, and I stand by saying this is still their best album they’ve put out. Be careful though, I tend to speed a little bit when listening to this one ;-)

Try these tracks: (warning: titles are very long…)

Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn’t Get Sued

I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me

A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me

13. Rihanna - Anti

Rihanna got a lot of praise on this album for it being one of her most complete works. Start to finish, this album keeps you intrigued with its different sounds and I absolutely love driving to it. It’s a perfect mix of typical Rihanna bangers and some of her softer, more powerful songs.

Try these tracks:

Never Ending

Consideration

Desperado

Higher

14. Johnny Cash - Live At Folsom Prison

Okay, so if you know me, you knew I wasn’t going to make it through this list without Johnny Cash. Everyone needs a good live album in their life, and this one is as good as it gets. Johnny Cash was one of those artists that was actually almost better live than in recordings because it was his raw emotion in the performance. I also love hearing his commentary and his deep voice vibrating through the speakers. It’s a spiritual experience if you ask me. This is also one of my favorite vinyl albums that I own. Pretend you’re driving with Johnny Cash in your front seat with this one.

Try these tracks:

Dark As The Dungeon

I Still Miss Someone

Cocaine Blues

Orange Blossom Special

Folsom Prison Blues

15. J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive

Another rap album that’s good on the road is this classic from J. Cole. I love the soulfulness in this album mixed with a modern sound. This is just a solid album from start to finish that never disappoints.

Try these tracks:

Fire Squad

A Tale of 2 Citiez

Wet Dreamz

’03 Adolescence

16. Ed Sheeran - Divide

Let me tell ya, Ed Sheeran can write some damn good songs. I’ve always been a pretty casual fan of Ed, but his latest album is one I could listen to for hours. There’s not one song I don’t enjoy or relate to on this album. Any album that I enjoy that much is always an option while I’m driving.

Try these tracks:

Dive

New Man

Happier

Hearts Don’t Break Around Here

Barcelona

17. The Lumineers - The Lumineers (self-titled)

The Lumineers….oh how I love The Lumineers. I was torn between including both their albums or just one but decided to go with their self-titled album because I think it is *slightly* better as a whole, although both are amazing and hold a special place in my heart. I’d play both of them while chasing white lines, honestly. Anyone who appreciates music that feels like its ripping out your soul will love The Lumineers. Not gonna lie, their songs have brought tears to my eyes more times than I’ll care to admit.

Try these tracks:

Slow It Down

Flowers In Your Hair

Stubborn Love

Dead Sea

18. Zac Brown Band - The Foundation

The Zac Brown Band is always a go-to when I need some good country on the road. A lot like Chris Stapleton’s music, the Zac Brown Band’s songs often have themes of moving and traveling, and this particular album has a lot of that.

Try these tracks:

Free

Highway 20 Ride

Mary

Jolene

19. George Ezra - Wanted On Voyage

While most people have only heard of George Ezra from his hit single “Budapest” from a few summer’s ago, I was one of the lucky few who decided to explore his music further and boy, am I sure glad I did. He quickly became one of my favorite artists and I even got to see him on his Wanted On Voyage tour and I would definitely pay to see him live again. This album works perfectly together as one piece, and the whole theme of the album is literally traveling – an obvious choice for a road trip, right? Do yourself a favor and get hooked on this guy’s swoon-worthy voice and before you know it, you’ll be singing along in your car.

Try these tracks:

Cassy O

Barcelona

Stand By Your Gun

Over The Creek

Breakaway

Spectacular Rival

20. Catfish and the Bottlemen - The Ride

Like Beach Baby’s album, this is a great easy-listening rock album that just seems right to listen to behind the wheel. It’s got a surf rock feel as well, which I’m always a fan of – so I can dream of being back on the coast. Also, the album title is a dead giveaway of some of the themes.

Try these tracks:

Twice

Oxygen

Emily

7

21. Rainbow Kitten Surprise - Seven + Mary

Definitely don’t let this band name scare you away. This is another alternative/rock album that I especially love driving to at night. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed. There’s a lot of acoustic influence that helps give it an indie direction.

Try these tracks:

Seven

Devil Like Me

First Class

Black and White

22. Hozier - Hozier (self-titled)

I truly believe this album will go down as one of the most timeless and I have been dying for new Hozier music ever since this album was released. I can always count on this album to satisfy me and keep me coming back for more, and a lot like the other indie albums I’ve listed, it's the perfect soundtrack for a road trip.

Try these tracks:

Work Song

Angel Of Small Death And The Codeine Scene

Cherry Wine

Foreigner’s God

From Eden

Jackie & Wilson

23. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

Much like The Lumineers, Mumford & Sons never disappoints in that whole “ripping out your soul” category. These songs are so thoughtfully written, and I love finding the meaning in every single one. It was hard to choose just one of their albums, but as a whole, I like driving to this one better.

Try these tracks:

The Cave

White Blank Page

Timshel

Little Lion Man

24. Young the Giant - Young the Giant (self-titled)

Young the Giant’s self-titled album sometimes doesn’t get the respect it deserves. I absolutely adore the songs on this album, and they’re the type of songs that randomly get stuck in my head because they stick with you that much. This is another pretty easy-listening album that is fun to listen to behind the wheel.

Try these tracks:

Cough Syrup

My Body

Apartment

Strings

So – next time you’re traveling down the road and need some excellent ~tuneage~ I encourage you to branch out and listen to these albums that will make you feel like you’re driving in a movie scene. These are also great for when you’re flying or on a train, too. Chase those white lines, and treat yourself to some ear candy while you do it.