The Benefits Of Lifting Weights

The Benefits Of Lifting Weights

The energy and emotion... the rush of adrenaline.

97
The Benefits Of Lifting Weights

This week I decided to tackle something. I feel super passionate about the importance of lifting weights!

As March is National Nutrition Month, I feel like this is more than relevant.

Personally, I got into lifting because I did track (throws) throughout high school and I continue to do it now at the collegiate level. The lifting programs have only gotten more intense as time has passed.

I love the way lifting makes me feel. The pure release of energy and emotion while you're doing it, and then the rush of strength and adrenaline you get when you finally achieve a goal or find out you're a lot stronger than you thought you were.

You tend to surprise yourself a lot when you're doing it.

But the truth is, lifting weights is actually incredibly beneficial to you, completely aside from gaining muscle.

I've heard a lot of fears from women about lifting weights because they're worried about getting too bulky. I can ASSURE you that you're not going to get crazy and bulky like most of the bodybuilders you see out there.

The only way you're going to start looking anything like that is if you start taking testosterone. If that's what you want, then all the power to you. But otherwise, your body can only get so big.

Alternatively, you're going to get toned and fight fat in your body. Research has proved that lifting weights increases your everyday metabolic functions that fight fat in all parts of your body, including around your arms and legs.

Additionally, I think that lifting is such a good stress relief technique.

When I'm having a rough day, when I'm sad, angry, frustrated, or even when I'm bored, I sometimes head over to the gym and get a good workout in. It's the same kind of catharsis some people get from jogging or other cardio, but I like to get my emotions out by picking things up and putting them down.

Lifting weights strengthen your bones. Duh! It sounds kind of obvious, but even lightweight lifting can build up stronger bones, which is good for support all over your body, especially in joints and tendons.

Who doesn't want healthy, strong bones?

Also, being strong feels AWESOME. I love being able to lift heavy things without hesitation, especially because I'm a girl. There are too many stereotypes about girls being weak and they IRK me because I'm the strongest girl I know.

Feeling strong is honestly one of the best feelings in the world. It feels like you're invincible like you can take on anything.

Lastly, lifting weights pretty much just improves your quality of life. I could go on about all the benefits, but the reality is that pretty much everything is easier or better.

You sleep better, you work better, you exercise more efficiently, everyday tasks are easier, you feel better, and you look better.

I used to see it as a sort of chore, but lifting is something I've come to love over the past few years.

It's given me so much more confidence and it has gradually become an important part of my agenda for self-love.