The Art of Being a Baseball Fan

The Art of Being A Baseball Fan

22 years and counting

49

Baseball, America's pastime, was first officially played in Hoboken New Jersey when the Knickerbockers and the New York Line went head to head and the New York Line won 23-1 in four innings. (If you know anything about baseball you know that if this happened today it would be beyond embarrassing.)

But anyone who's a real baseball fan knows that there's a real art to baseball.

For one, you have to know to pay attention to all the players. Not just the batter and not just the pitcher.

You have to understand the risk that comes with getting hit by the ball and the circumstances that necessitate standing in front of a small object traveling around 90 miles an hour. A walk can do a lot in the game of baseball and often it comes with the understanding that the player batting after you is a better batter than you.

You have to understand why a player in bunting ball verses traditionally hitting it and why this is another form of sacrifice for their time. It won't go very far and is an easy out for anyone running to first base but for any other player, it's a chance to advance.

Another form of sacrifice is when the player batting hits a fly ball, easily caught and an automatic out if it is so a player on base can advance.

The difference between shutouts, no-hitters, and perfect games. A shutout is when a team doesn't make a run but players do make it on base. A no-hitter is when a team doesn't manage to hit any ball but there are walks. Then there are perfect games when there are no runs, no walks, and so no players from one team have made it on base.

When it comes to perfect games it is important to remember that baseball is a very superstitious game and when a perfect game begins to emerge the announcers will not say that it is a perfect game until the end for fear of jinxing it.

Baseball is overall a very superstitious game. This can probably be explained by the fact that you're either hitting the ball or trying to catch the ball and either way all eyes are on you. It is very easy to find fault in baseball and trying to find some certainty is understandable.

When watching baseball you have to be able to see past the croch grabbing and spitting. That's just a part of baseball. Another part of baseball is the uniforms. If your team is anything like mine they change up their uniforms every now and then and you have to get past your first thought 'Why the heck would they choose that' before you can sit back and enjoy the game.

Also if there's any kind of pole out there I prefer the socks pulled up to the knees, but I guess it's just however they want to play ball.

There you have it. In my 22 years of experience these are the things I have learned while practicing the art that is being a fan of baseball.

c2.staticflickr.com