The Amazingness That Is Birthright

The Amazingness That Is Birthright

Shabbat Shalom.

22
The Amazingness That Is Birthright
Hopkins Hillel

If you're going on Birthright then you are a very fortunate soul. You will experience the beautiful country, its delicious food and meet the kind brave soldiers and citizens of Israel. You will get to find your own connection to the Holy Land’s culture and history, and most importantly get to experience this with 40 other people who will leave an impression on you forever. Here are some things to look forward to!

Israeli iced coffee.

You can’t even fight me on this, it’s absolutely the best. There is no way to describe it until you taste its simple sweetness and refreshing flavor. Enjoy while you can!

The Dead Sea

The beautiful water is warm and crystal clear. It may look harmless but it is definitely not a simple swim. Water shoes are highly recommend. If you were planning on swimming, throw that crazy idea out of your head because you're floating b****. (Tip: please don’t fall asleep or you will float into Jordan and no one will probably get you) Lastly any cut anywhere on your body will hurt like a mother. However, I swear it’s completely worth it. You will never be smoother in your entire life.

The desert.

This is where you will ride camels that are so adorable. You will also be “sleeping” in a tent (my group had a dance party till 4 a.m. so no beauty sleep occurred that night) and after 4 a.m. you will be walking the stairs of hell to the beautiful sunset at the Masada (if you are a lazy sack of potatoes like me you're going to get a rude awakening of how unfit you really are). There was also desert yoga, star viewing, tracking and so many more amazing activities. You're going to love it, trust me. Just watch out for the desert spider scorpion!

Shawarma, falafel or schnitzel with tahini sauce.

It’s straight up delicious - have at least one of each, or five. Don’t be scared to slather all that sauce on top as well. I believe it’s made out of poppy seeds, so it’s healthy right? Who cares, slather on even more.

Nights out in Telaviv and Jerusalem.

Both cities have amazing nightlife. Dancing on top of the bar tables is highly recommended. The music is absolutely amazing. Also, try to go bar hopping because each little restaurant/bar has something different to offer! In Jerusalem you can have hookah, food and of course, drinks. With fellow birthright friends you will forget about your exhausted day and have an amazing night. (Side note: ladies don’t wear heels because the side walk is one giant pot hole)

The Western Wall

A simple wall that holds millions of peoples' prayers every day. You will get to create a meaningful wish for yourself on whatever you want. This is where you will feel the energy of everyone just praying for a better life for themselves and all of Israel. Many people feel liberated and even cry at the experience. It’s beautiful and you will feel even more connected to the Holy Land because the wall is where try to find peace and hope.

Yad Vashem

This museum holds the Jewish peoples' history that changed the world forever. You will cry and be lost for words. It’s truly elaborating and is impossible to not find a connection to the innocent 8 million people that were slaughtered. The entire museum architecture is symbolic and fascinating. Allow yourself to feel and you will understand why Israeli citizens are so dedicated to their country, religion and lifestyle.

There is so much more to this program and Israel. You will enjoy absolutely everything about this trip. This jaunt allowed me to realize how I relate to the Jewish people and how I identify myself. I grew patriotism and love for the country and the people. I’m sure the exact will happen for the readers that are going and I wish you the best time. Please stay safe when you go there and Shabbat Shalom.