The 11 Worst People, But Best Characters, From "The Office"

Because we all know the best characters are the worst people.

19

The Office was full of terrible people, but they were often the most fun ones to watch. Because of that, I compiled a list of characters, ranked by both how objectively terrible they are as humans, and how fun they are to watch.

11. Stanley Hudson

Stanley was an objectively terrible person by the end of the show, cheating on his wife and also his mistress. While he didn't give us much throughout the show's run, he did leave us with iconic moments like "DID I STUTTER?" and "BOY HAVE YA LOST YA MIND 'CAUSE I'LL HELP YA FIND IT!"

10. Meredith Palmer

Meredith did so many bad things. From prostituting herself for Outback Steakhouse coupons, to sleeping with a terrorist, we can fairly say that she was one of the most morally unsound characters on the show. But, she did give us some great moments, like getting trapped in a bag with a bat and hit by a car.

9. Toby Flenderson

Toby was a decent guy overall, but he was so annoying. From the Scranton Strangler drama to his series of detective novels, no one would in real life would ever want anything to do with him. And neither did anyone on "The Office," which led to great moments like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and basically any other interaction he had with Michael.

8. Kelly Kapoor

From cheating on Darryl to bullying a high schooler online, Kelly could not be considered a great person. But, she brought us so many amazing moments like "How dare you?", "The business b*tch," and every single scene she had with Ryan.

7. Jan Levinson

Jan was the worst. She abused Michael physically, verbally, and financially, on top of being plain crazy by the end of the series. However, she gifted us with the absolutely iconic "Dinner Party" episode, and that alone earns her a spot on this list.

6. Ryan Howard

Ryan cheated, lied, committed fraud, and was unreliable, making him one of the very worst people on the show, with basically no redeeming by qualities by the end (when he abandons his baby after giving him an allergic reaction.) But, because of what a bad person he was, Ryan gave the show many of its highlights, like when he started the fire, created WUPHF.com, and, again, every scene he had with Kelly.

5. Michael Scott

Michael was not a great person all the time. From hitting Meredith with his car, to fake firing Pam more than once, to every racist or sexist or otherwise rude comment, he had more than his fair share of jerk moments. But, he was the reason the show was so incredible. He gave us his hatred of Toby, obsession with finding love, wildly inappropriate behaviors for a boss, crush on Ryan, the list doesn't end. However, he was not a bad enough person to be higher up on the list, making him just crack the top 5.

4. Angela Martin

In fourth place, Angela was described as the meanest woman at the paper company. She cheated on every guy she was with, slut-shamed the other women for no reason, and tried to hire a hitman for one of her best friends. In spite of all this, she was one of the best characters to watch, with dramatic moments like when she threw Oscar her cat, to smaller ones like calling every color Phyllis wore "whorish"

3. Dwight Schrute

Taking third place, Dwight was not a bad person, but severely misguided. He shot a gun at work, pre-fired everyone, and set a fire that nearly killed Stanley. Despite all his faults as a person, Dwight brought us truly iconic moments between his rivalry with Jim, his beet farm, and his relationship with Angela.

2. Todd Packer

Packer comes in second simply because there is only one other character who is objectively worse than this misogynistic jerk that drugged everyone's cupcakes and tried to get Dwight fired. However, his terribleness is what makes him so amusing to watch, and has me somehow looking forward to Todd Packer episodes.

Honorable Mention: Holly Flax

Holly was a good person, which is why she doesn't actually make the list, but she was also the worst because she took Michael away, and that can't quite be forgiven.

1. Creed Bratton

Earning himself first place for the objectively worst person on "The Office" (but also most fun to watch) is Creed. Most of Creed's best moments involve us learning about everything that makes him horrible. From telling us about leading cults, to assuming the identity of Creed Bratton, to stealing just about whatever he can, to selling fake IDs and drugs, to multiple speculations of murder, Creed's bad person checklist is unending. However, it's precisely these things that make him so fun to watch, which is why he received first place on this list.