That One Professor

We have all complained about “that one professor," so I thought I would show a few of my favorite stereotypes of the people that get paid to teach us.The Overzealous Grad Student

In this class scenario, you don’t know whether to accept them as one of your own, or be scared of the moderate authority they do have. Often found suggesting YouTube clips and dropping the occasional swear word, you feel like they really are relatable (up until they give you an undeserved grade, then they are just like every other ancient professor).

The “I’m Just Here for the Paycheck”

Most commonly seen in large lecture halls, these professors are overly qualified and therefore think it is okay to click through a stark white PowerPoint slideshow with no photos and comic sans font. Guess what, it’s not.

The Nitpicker

That one professor who cares so deeply if your font is Calibri 11 versus Times New Roman 12 that the entire class will get scolded about it, instead of moving onto the next lesson. Contrary to the “I’m just here for the paycheck” professor, these people actually care about how you do in their class, which although at times can be annoying, they have your best interests I mind.

The Aggressively Creative Thinker

Popularized by the art department, these people scold anything that is remotely “mainstream." Their office hours are held at Purple Onion, or some other, even more remote coffee shop because people just “get in the way." They always push you to “step outside of the box,” or even worse, claim “the box” doesn’t exist and is a stigma for the lack of innovation in modern society. With these types, I find it's best to nod your head in deep interest until they look away.

The Nurturer

Lets be real, even if you don’t want to openly admit it, missing your parents is a part of college. It’s only natural to connect to that one professor who makes an obnoxious amount of puns and wears clothes you swear were only in your parents' closets. They leave endearing notes on tests you failed that make you feel cared about, but if they say they’re disappointed in you, now that’s a whole new level of shame.

The Hot TA

I unfortunately have yet to encounter this college stereotype, but have seen enough from movies, TV shows, and the occasional first hand tale to believe that every student will eventually have one, right?

The key with encountering any of these stereotypes is to remember that you, or whoever else, are paying these people to teach you something. Even though at times it can be physically painful to sit through their class, know that college is some of the best times of your life, and these people are all a part of it.