That ‘C’ Does Not Define Your Self Worth

In the process of it all, I realized something: that I was perfectly okay

5
LIVESTRONG

The transition from high school to college can be a scary and tough few semesters for many people. It can leave many students, especially myself, questioning whether or not college is really for them. I was a student that could breeze by in high school without studying at all and still manage to get A’s and B’s in every course. In college, however, I realized that was not the case for nearly every class in my major.

I realized that the honors student that I was in high school did not really matter anymore, and that I was just an average student on the college level. I came into college with a big head that I would do great and prosper in every course, but that was not the case. I am not saying that I did not try my best, or study for hours on end, but what I am saying is that college courses can be tough and some are just not meant for your particular learning style to excel. You can study for 12 hours for an exam and still make a 60, you can put your best foot forward and still feel as though you have achieved nothing. This notion of defeat and stupidity that derives from your first few final course grades back can be detrimental to the opinion of your own self-worth. It can make you feel stupid, not good enough, or a failure. It can leave you questioning as to why it happened to you, to the kid that graduated with all honors in your hometown high school just a few short months ago.

I know this feeling all too well because it happened to me. First semester of freshman year I nearly passed college algebra with a low C. Over the course of Winter Break, I felt like my world was crashing down and I would end up being a college drop out that lives with their parents for their entire life. I felt like my whole life was a lie. I really was not as smart or as confident as many of my friends and family had told me I was for many, many years. I kept wondering if college was the right plan for me and if I would be able to pass all the courses required for my major. I questioned whether or not I would be worthy enough for a job in my field once I graduated college, since I would have a C in a class. I thought a lot about my life, my future and my mistakes.

In the process of it all I realized something: that I was perfectly okay. I realized that it is okay to not excel at everything and that I would still be successful. I realized that the letter ‘C’ did not mean as much as I made it out to be. The letter ‘C’ means that you may not have done your best, but you put your best foot forward. It means that you buckled down and did what needed to be done in order to pass the class. It means that although you did not prosper as much as you would like, you did not give up on the challenge and drop the course as many students would do. You have a determination, a will power inside of you that shines bright. So even when you feel at your lowest of lows, remember that it is okay, and you are still a good person.

Getting a ‘C’ does not and will not ever define your self-worth. It is one grade out of the many of courses that you will take in your college career. I know when you see it for the first time you may tear up, but please do not dwell on a single letter for too long. Life goes on and you will too. You will learn from your mistakes to be able to better yourself as well as your study habits. You will prosper, and you will succeed I promise. Each and every one of us has a plan created by God, and that ‘C’ was part of the path He created for you. No matter what the moral, the lesson, or the meaning behind this battle just remember that it will always be in God’s hands. When times get tough and you feel as though you want to quit, remember the plans that He has for you. Remember that He gives His hardest battles to His toughest soldiers. Remember that you are perfectly made in His image, and you are able to do anything through Him.

You have made it this far, so do not ever give up. Your self-worth is not based on that ‘C’ because your character, your personality, your courage, and your grace speak louder than one simple letter grade ever can. You are perfectly you, so never let a grade make you feel otherwise. Keep your chin up, and I promise you that your accomplishments with be endless within your lifetime.