Thanksgiving Service Work

Thanksgiving Service Work

Giving back on a special holiday

3
Thanksgiving Service Work
Barb/Larry Jay

I’m writing this article on Thanksgiving a week later for a reason. I would like to take this time to reflect on how I spent my Thanksgiving.

I was lucky enough to travel to Ocean City, Maryland with my family. This location is very special to us as we traveled there often when I was younger when my recently deceased aunt owned a beach house in Ocean Pines, Maryland. As soon as we crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge there was a flood of great childhood memories and a wave of emotions. We arrived separately from my father, grandmother, and sister because of school, but when we arrived my father told me that he was reading the local newspaper and found something for us to do. On Thanksgiving, Ocean City Baptist Church was serving a lunch for those alone on the holiday, homeless or too poor to afford a Thanksgiving meal. My dad called and asked if we could volunteer. They said they would appreciate the help cleaning up.

So on Thanksgiving day, we went to the church to aid in anyway we could. It was humbling to help those less fortunate than us. It made me really think about all the blessings I have.

I have my health, happiness, financial stability, family, friends, a warm loving home, a good education and so much more.

I want to thank my parents for providing me this opportunity to have these blessings (by adopting me) and loving me unconditionally, my loving family who is always there for me, my amazing friends who make me so happy, and the teachers who I’ve had who have positively impacted me and my future. I love and appreciate you all and hope that you take a moment today and everyday to treasure all of your blessings.