Thanksgiving is coming up and we can all pretend that the holiday is about being thankful and whatnot, but let's be real for a moment, it's all about the food.
I mean, as far as holidays go, there is no other holiday that focuses more on the aspect of food than the way Thanksgiving does, however, there are some Thanksgiving staples that are just inherently better than others.
OK, I love condiments probably more than the next person. No joke, I hoard Chick-fil-A sauce.
But for some reason, gravy and I do not mix.
I know people love to drench their turkey and mashed potatoes under a thick layer of gravy, but I am not this person. I don't know what it is exactly about gravy that rubs me the wrong way, but it just doesn't taste good to me.
Although the turkey may be the face of Thanksgiving, I must say, it is not the best dish of the holiday.
For some reason, turkey is always dry.
This is not an insult to my mom's cooking skills because the rest of my family loves her turkey, but, for some reason, it always tastes dry to me.
Granted, I eat turkey without gravy since I'm not a big fan of gravy, as stated above, but turkey should not have to rely on gravy to make it good.
It should be able to hold its own by itself.
5. Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce from a can is the only acceptable form of cranberry sauce. End of story.
All forms of bread are amazing and that definitely includes stuffing.
Whether you make it from scratch or using the pre-made, Stove Top box, it is all good.
2. Pumpkin Pie
I'm not even that big of a pie person, but I think pumpkin pie is absolutely amazing.
Unlike most pies, which only taste great when they're warmed, pumpkin pie can be eaten at any temperature, making it that much more superior to other pies.
1. Mashed Potatoes
Last but certainly not least, the best Thanksgiving dish of all, mashed potatoes.
A Thanksgiving meal without mashed potatoes would be the saddest meal ever. You need to have mashed potatoes on your plate.
It is the best dish and in my opinion, easily the star of the Thanksgiving meal.
- The 12 Most Popular Thanksgiving Side Dishes, Ranked ›
- Thanksgiving Foodstuffs, Ranked ›
- The Best Thanksgiving Foods, Hotly Debated and Ranked ›
- The Ultimate Ranking of Thanksgiving Sides ›
- The Definitive Ranking Of Thanksgiving Food ›
- A definitive ranking of Thanksgiving sides - Vox ›
- Thanksgiving Sides Dishes Ranked from Worst to Best | PEOPLE.com ›
- Every Thanksgiving food ranked from best to worst - AOL Lifestyle ›
- The 21 most important Thanksgiving foods, ranked ›
- 16 Thanksgiving Foods, Ranked from Best to Worst - PureWow ›
- 100+ Classic Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes | Thanksgiving ... ›