Thanksgiving Activity For Kids

Thanksgiving Activity For Kids

Make your own corn husk dolls.

13
Thanksgiving Activity For Kids
youtube.com

Make corn husk dolls similar to the ones Pilgrims made in the 17th century! When the first Pilgrims arrived on the Mayflower, their numbers included 33 children (one was born in route!). In the rough conditions of the New World, children had a lot of responsibility and not a lot of time to play. Their families depended on them to do important chores that had to be done daily. Still, from the records and objects they left behind, we know that Pilgrim kids loved to have fun when they could! Corn husk dolls originated from the Pilgrims' new neighbors, the Wampanoag Indians. Celebrate this cross-cultural friendship with this corn husk dolls craft!

1. Start by soaking the husks in water for 10 minutes,. Dry them with a paper towel.

2. Lay 4 or 6 husks (always an even number) in a stack.

3. Using thin twine, tie husks together, about 1 inch from top.

4. Separate husks into equal portions (2 and 2, or 3 and 3), and fold halves down, covering twine.

5. Using thin twine, tie husks about 1 inch down, creating head.

6. Roll a single husk and tie at ends to make arms.

7. Position arms below knot at neck, between equal portions of husks.

8. Tie waist. For female doll, trim husks to an even length.

9. For male doll, separate legs into equal portions. Tie at knees and ankles. Trim evenly.

10. To make hair, glue yarn or raffia to the heads. Fashion clothes from pieces of felt: Cut rectangles, and snip slits or X's in the center; then slide over doll's head, and secure around the waist with a strip of felt or yarn. (Glue on buttons, and use scissors to make fringe as desired.) Create hats and bonnets by cutting felt to fit, and then gluing in place.