5 Things I'm Thankful For This Thanksgiving, Because Gratitude Is Everything

It's the little things that keep me going.

36
Photo by J. Meier on Unsplash

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I made it a point to reflect upon what I am genuinely thankful for amidst these challenging circumstances.

This year has affected us in ways we never thought was possible. Taking time to realize what we have at this moment is important.

1. I'm thankful for my health.

While I acknowledge my health year-round, this year really made me appreciate my immune system. I am prone to getting sick and have been doing my best to stop the spread of COVID-19 in my own ways. I am eternally grateful for only having a cold this year and one emergency ER trip that ended with a successful surgery. Ultimately, I thank God for giving me the strength to keep on moving forward.

2. I'm thankful for family.

This year was particularly hard for many families across The United States. Upon reflection, being together and knowing my family and I were safe in our home was is all I could ask for. My father contracted COVID-19, and the entire experience took a toll on our family. It was the most painful thing to know that my father was in immense pain with no one physically by his side. Thankfully, he recovered. Unfortunately, he is left with the everlasting side affects of this virus. This occurrence was one of the worst moments I've had to witness by far. Moving forward, I hope that no one will continue to have to experience this pain. We are all that we have and this year made me realize how fast we can taken away from each other.

3. I'm thankful for people.

Essential workers are truly the backbone of our nation. They have been working non-stop and are constantly at risk for the good of others. In this sense, I am truly grateful for their bravery and commitment when on the job. Additionally, under these unfortunate circumstances, I still managed to meet a decent amount of individuals that have impacted me positively. My appreciation for people has skyrocketed and it ranges from those who kept me sane during school, those who work hours to ensure proper sanitation, and healthcare workers that have been working non-stop. I make it a point to treat all people with the respect and acknowledgment that they deserve.

4. I'm thankful for my education.

I never got the proper send-off to university. If anything, I didn't even have the chance to cross the stage and receive my diploma. While this did leave me confused and feeling unaccomplished, I accepted my fate and moved onward. As a first-generation college student, education has and will always be my number one priority. This being said, I am so glad to have been able to take this obstacle and find ways to overcome it and continue my education. Learning is a process that can never be taken from us. We have the option to continue, despite the nature of the world. This is something that I will never take for granted.

5. Ultimately, I'm thankful for hope.

If I had to encapsulate the year in one word, it would be hope. The current state of the world was unforeseeable, and it is up to us to try and make what we have worthwhile. I am thankful for my life and for the opportunity to start fresh next year. 2021 has a nice ring to it, and although COVID-19 will still be following us next year, I am hopeful that every step that I take in the upcoming months will change the direction of my life for the good. A gleam of hope is what we all need throughout this time of calamity.