5 Things I Can Thank Kansas State University For

As a senior, I have to thank K-State for so much that has happened in my life!

21

Going into my senior year of college has me thinking back on all the great lessons I have learned in the past three years. I am so happy I chose to take the "purple" path. Because of my decision, college has been some of the best times of my life. To say I have learned and grown so much these past three years is the biggest understatement.

1. I've learned that purple is the best color ever.

If you are uncertain about what color to chose for anything- shirt, pants, cars even- purple is the way to go. It is not harsh like the hotter colors and it is not too mellow like cooler colors. Purple is a perfect balance- it can be bright and bold and perfect for game-day or it can be used in a professional setting.

If you leave K-State and purple is not your favorite, or at least in your top three favorite colors, you went to the wrong school. The color was just the visual symbol of how connected everyone is. We all wear the same color because we are all a family. Even if you came from a different state, if you are studying a vastly different major than your neighbor, or even if you do not speak the same language, we are still united under the same school and same color.

2. I've made a wide variety of friends. 

Luckily, I am agricultural communications and have taken classes in all kinds of different programs. I have taken agronomy, animal science, agricultural economics, marketing, and journalism classes. As a result, I have met so many different types of folks and boy, have they made life colorful! No matter what question I may have, I always know somebody to ask. I have learned so much because of them. I have gained an appreciation for subjects I never would have considered or really cared about before them.

They have made me more well rounded and I appreciate every one of them for helping me grow. They have made such an impact on my life and I cannot wait to see the new friends I will make in this final year.

3. I've learned to choose what speaks to your soul. 

There is always an option that will speak to you. Do you really enjoy crops and want to focus on production? There's a plan for that. Do you care about the environment and want to help show the public how farmers and ranchers are the original environmentalists? You bet there is a path for that too. Even if it requires a few extra classes or harder classes than the alternative options, if it is something you are passionate about and fuels that fire in your heart- go for it.

K-State instructors and other students really care about each other and are more often than not willing to help you find your right path. They want to see you succeed as much as you want yourself to succeed. (Again, it is that family mentality!)

You are in charge of your own life now. It is up to you to hunt for what makes you happy. K-State is the perfect conduit for you to get connected to what makes you happy. So take those classes, talk to those people, and join that club. Just make sure you are doing what you love!

4. I've learned it is OK to be "dumb".

Coming from a small school, I was used to being a smart one. School was still a little hard for me, but I was able to stay on top easily.

College was eye-opening. I had to study harder, I had to ask more questions, and I had to seek help more. On the plus side, it was much easier than expected. Teachers were good about working with me if I was willing to just ask. There are entire buildings where there are people there are on call to answer any question you might have about classes or subject matters.

People truly do want to help you. (See Lesson 3.) They actually care at Kansas State! You've got this!

5. I've learned that the working world won't be too bad, after all.

Shoot, you were able to whip out those tests, papers, and projects. You learned valuable skills in your classes that will pay off. You know your stuff, so now you are going to be a valuable asset to your workplace. Do not doubt yourself. Stand up for yourself and say what you think.

Compared to school, working and having a job will be no sweat! Surely?

Thank you K-State for these three years. I promise to enjoy and savor my final year here. I promise to learn lots and come away with new lessons in my pocket. I will never forget these lessons and they will carry me through the rest of my life. As always, go Cats! EMAW!