Thanks, 2017

Thanks, 2017

"Do something for my one second video!"

73
Thanks, 2017
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/03/636506131103793855622041814_IMG_9854.JPG

This year I committed to something that I really didn't think I'd be able to do: I decided to take a one second video of every single day in 2017 (in the end I missed June 12 and November 4). I used 1SE, an app that I bought on a whim with an iTunes gift card last Christmas after seeing the video a friend of mine had created. Obviously, it wasn't quite an original idea.

On January 1, 2018, when I put the whole thing together, I had a lot of fun adding music and looking back at my year. I pulled the audio off of it because you could mostly just hear me saying "go" excitedly every time a new video popped up, but it was fun for me to see exactly the context of the moment and what was being said. When I watched it with the audio still attached, you could hear "rah rah carolina," or the dumb joke my roommate was making at the time or giggles.

A lot of people have asked me why I did this. For me, it was kind of an easier way to make a scrapbook. I got to look back at my year and most of the people who made it so special, which was really cool. I also got to share all of those memories with those people, and that's pretty awesome too.

Like I said, I loved looking back at it. The funny thing is, there are a lot of parts of my year that you wouldn't even know about unless you knew where to look for them. It seems pretty obvious that I wouldn't be taking loads of videos of every moment of my internship this summer–though if you know what they are, there are a few subtle shots of a day in the life–but other than that I think that it's probably because I forgot about it during the most truly exciting moments of my year.

For instance, the very first thing I did in 2017 was run a 5k, which started at midnight, with two friends. You'd have no idea, looking at this video. There were campaigns to stop human trafficking (donations are still open here! https://dressember.funraise.org/fundraiser/miranda...), concerts, fireworks shows, fairs, parties, national championship winning shots, breakups, goodbyes, hellos, new cousins, retreats, a new gas cap cover and water bottle, squirrels I ran over, great meals and days spent in the pool that didn't even make it into my video.

The thing is, the video I created is exciting enough to make me nostalgic for 2017 as it is. That's pretty cool! Of course, you can see hints that all of the things I listed above happened, and if you know very much about my year you know they happened, but you wouldn't guess it without just absolutely knowing.

Anyway, the point is I want to say thank you to everyone who ended up in this video–subtly or otherwise–for making this year what it was. 2017 was one for the books, or at least the movies, and I'm so excited to see what 2018 has in store.

Check out the video here: