A List Of Thank You's To My First Roommate

Because you'll never forget your first

405
Sarah Dieterich

Dear April,

Wow, what a semester we've had. It's hard to believe we've known each other for less than a year, and you've already become one of my closest friends, and I know I will never forget the time spent in Dirty Daniels together. We were both so nervous moving away from home, and having a quad to ourselves for a week because of band and in the end, I'm so grateful we randomly met on Facebook, because my first semester of college would have sucked so much more without you in my life. So, I wanted to say thank you.

Thank you for making me go out for midnight pancakes during the welcome week after I'd had a bad day because I can now say I got to ride a police Segway because of you. Thank you for making moving away from home to a school where I didn't know anyone a little less lonely. Thank you for not minding when I tagged along with your friends, and when some of them kind of became my friends because of it too. Thank you for not making me feel like I was constantly third wheeling when I hung out with you and your boyfriend. Thank you for the ridiculous amount of Vine references, and knowing how to make me laugh.

Thank you for going to Kroger to get me oyster crackers when I was too sick to walk there. Thank you for sharing your closet, and for offering to combine our snacks. Thank you for always being available to talk even when you seemed like you had a million better things to do. Thank you for letting me pretend to be your little sister on family day because my mom couldn't make it down to visit so you let me join yours. Thank you for helping me feel like I belonged in a place where I felt so alone. Thank you for letting me come sit in on your baton practice because sometimes I needed out of the room and there wasn't anywhere else to go to have some space.

And most of all, thank you for understanding how much it hurt to have to move out for my health. It hasn't even been a month since I switched dorms the first time and it's been so quiet without our late night talks and just hanging out with each other, and I'm so glad I can say you're my friend.

Thank you for being the most wonderful person to share half of our prison-like room with,

Your roommate <3