A Thank You To Syracuse University

A Thank You To Syracuse University

For all those little things Cuse has brought me.

34
A Thank You To Syracuse University
Syracuse

As I near the middle of second-semester sophomore year, it dawns on me how far I've come. Looking back on high school, I was never thoroughly in love with my time there- don't get me wrong, I had a great group of friends but honestly, my social life consisted of AP World notecards and the occasional five-hour mall trip. I never really tried anything new, I never really pushed myself beyond what was required of me. But when I came to Syracuse, that all changed. I rushed a sorority, something I would have never pictured myself doing. I stayed up until the early morning doing work, complaining how I should just get over my dislike for coffee and just have a cup. I made friends with people I would have normally never been drawn to. None of that would have been possible without Syracuse; I've grown so much since I've been here and I know it's cheesy to say, but there's so much left for me to discover. But in the meantime:

Thank you to my first roommate for teaching me the true meaning of friendship. You saw the best and worst of me but still were there at the end of everything, even if I did wake you up at three in the morning with a coughing fit.

Thank you to my second (and current roommate) for making make me stronger; you put up with my shenanigans, even when I act like a freshman again and never once do I not feel like you have my back.

Thank you to my first journalism professor for being the light at the end of the tunnel when I thought I was drowning; you showed me that things don't come easy and really pushed me to stretch beyond my comfort zones. It's silly, but I honestly don't think I would be here without you today.

Thank you to my first dorm for teaching me how to truly live with others. You made me self-dependent and showed me that even when I was struggling, there were probably a dozen others along with me; it was a constant reminder I was never alone and made me truly find my home away from home.

Thank you to my sorority member class for being my rocks and a constant safe haven after a long day. And even the embarrassing snaps aren't too bad.

Thank you to Kimmel for being my saving grace when it's cold on my walk home at 1 a.m. and I have the biggest craving for a greasy quesadilla.

Thank you to the Orange for giving me a reason to own more orange than legally should be allowed and letting me cheer on a team that actually has a chance of actually winning.

Thank you to my student id for letting me feel like I never have to pay for anything, even though I know the money came from my bank account anyway.

Thank you to the classes and assignments I cried over; looking back, you weren't worth the tears but you taught me I have more drive than I even imagined.

Thank you to the puppies on the quad for giving me a reason to feel like a kid again and take a million and one snaps for my story.

Thank you for bringing me my squad, my ride or days or whatever you may call them. I wouldn't be me without you, honestly.

And to Cuse, thank you for making me grow from a little unripe clementine to a strong, prosperous orange.