Thank You, Professor, For Showing Me My True Passion

A Thank You To The Professor That Helped Me Discover My True Passion

It's amazing how one semester and one professor can change you.

39
https://unsplash.com/photos/s9CC2SKySJM

A creative writing class was the last on my list of interesting general education classes I had to take last spring. Going into the class, I was dreading the amount of writing I would have to be doing. The thought of putting my thoughts out in the world for others to read scared me (it still does, to be honest). Grammar was not my favorite topic and it definitely was not something I was good at.

My professor seemed very odd (in a good way) and so did my fellow classmates. This didn't really help my existing feelings towards the class, though.

However, as the semester went by, this attitude of mine changed.

My professor made us all tap into our senses with every writing piece she assigned us. After careful examination, she would critique us on every little piece of information within our writings. At first, I was slightly annoyed by this, as I am someone who despises being told what to do.

But by the end of it all, I understood that this is what was needed in order to be successful.

My professor brought out parts of my imagination that I never thought was possible. She told all of us to tap into all of our senses when writing, not just the brain.

I will always remember the day she took the whole class outside to take in every part of nature. We had to record every sense we had in relation to nature. Whether it be the cold spring grass we felt between our fingertips or the calming breeze mixed with the warmth of the sun on our skin, she made us write it all down.

My professor ensured we all knew that it was okay to express our feelings through words. She made even the toughest of those in the class break down and cry at the words that came to our mind.

With each class, there was a new love that arose in me for writing. I found myself writing every night before I went to bed. I combined my music with this writing and created so many songs.

Something I once dreaded was now becoming a passion.

If you would have asked me four years ago, even last year at this time, what I wanted to be when I grew up, becoming a writer or a journalist would have never crossed my mind. But here I am, one year later, tacking on another major in hopes of becoming a journalist one day.

Thanks to my creative writing professor, I learned that I have a skill and passion for writing. I learned how others could be moved by my words and my experiences. For that, I am forever grateful.

Thank you, professor, for showing me the best version of myself and my writings. I am forever changed.