To My Parents, From Your Daughter With Anxiety

I know you worry if you handle it all okay, but you handle it more than okay.

402
Caitlin Flaherty

A little over three years ago my life and all my thoughts made sense, I was diagnosed with anxiety. But my parents made it so much easier and I am so lucky to have them.

Anxiety is different for everyone, but for my parents, it's basically nonexistent. They are the most go-with-the-flow, always having a good time and make the most of out anything people I have ever met. But, no matter what they listened to me and they helped me.

To My Easy Going Parents,

Thank you.

Thank you for knowing when I needed you and when I continue to. I may not have known how to speak up for myself and share that I was drowning, but you knew. I may not tell you in my texts that I'm freaking out, but you know and you call me. Thank you for knowing me and for being so present, especially when I was still learning to grasp it all.

Thank you for understanding. I know you didn't understand what was going through my head and that sometimes it's still hard too, but you try so hard. Thank you for knowing what situations would overwhelm me. I know to you they may seem small, but a simple glance across the table in a crowded restaurant helps.

However, thank you for pushing me. Thank you for making me order my own meals on days where I am stronger. Thank you for bringing me to therapy and helping me find coping methods. Thank you for talking out the thoughts that I don't really want to because, well, you're right… I need to talk them through in order to overcome them.

Thank you for continually educating yourself on anxiety. I know I haven't ever told you this before, but this means the world to me. Every text message I get with a different link on an article you read, every shared post I see on Facebook and so much more, I almost cry every time. It means way more to me than I can even write, thank you for learning more and more every day in order to understand.

And thank you for supporting me. I know it's not always easy. I understand that, to you, my head doesn't make sense. But your continual texts and reminders of how proud you are of me make me able to push through the times I'm losing it. Leaving to go to school was something I was worried about, but you always knew I could do it and made sure to tell me.

Please remember, you have done more for me than I can say thank you for. Do not beat yourself up anymore for not discovering it sooner... you did not know. You did not know what anxiety was and that's okay. I am only doing as well as I am now, I only have a grip on my thoughts now, because of you and that is what matters.

The more I've grown into being comfortable with my anxiety being part of who I am, I've learned of many people who aren't as lucky as I am. I've always taken you two for granted in some ways and for that I'm sorry. I'm sorry this took me so long to say, but I will never be sorry for how close we are. You two are my anchors.

Love,

Your Daughter With Anxiety