Thank You God, For My Sister

Thank You God, For My Sister

Blessings can be people too.

1647
Thank You God, For My Sister
Erin Stein

Everyone has a person. Meredith Grey has Christina Yang (maybe now she has Alex Karev and her sisters too). Justin Timberlake has Jimmy Fallon. The list goes on. My person is my sister. She's more than my sister. She's my best friend, my mini-me and my other half. Although we are similar, we are different people. She amazes me everyday and I am truly blessed that we share DNA, a bedroom, a wardrobe and our lives together.

Thank you for being my sounding board.

You listen to all of my stupid complaints. You get most of my tears, my laughs, my deepest darkest dreams and the things that won't leave my head. I don't want to deal with myself most of the time, so thank you for picking up my slack. You also make me feel not like a crazy person when I tell you things. You don't judge, harass or make fun of (or when you do, I know it's in good fun). Sometimes I don't even need to talk and you already know what to say to me.

Thank you for picking what we're watching on Netflix when I don't want to.

This one is a biggie. I am very indecisive, so I'm glad we don't share that trait. Whether you suck it up and watch "Grey's Anatomy" with me, or we try a new documentary, thank you for having great taste in TV and more motivation to get up and get the remote.

Thank you for cuddling me, even though you hate cuddles.

This is another big one. I know cuddling isn't your thing but when I need cuddles, you always follow through. You may huffy breath about it, but you always are there when I need you.

Thank you for keeping me young.

Although I'm not that much older than you, you keep me youthful and hopeful. You ask the silliest questions and say the funniest things. (I will never forget when you asked if Toledo was in Canada.) I love that you still have an innocence that makes me see the world in a light that I sometimes forget. You keep me fresh with the lingo and always know the words to newest songs on the radio. Even though you are becoming a beautiful young woman, you will permanently be the little 6-year-old Boo lookalike from "Monsters, Inc." in my heart.

Thank you for being the big sister sometimes.

Although I am the older sister, we sometimes switch roles and you're really good at it. You push me to the limit in the gym and motivate me. You always know the right thing for me to say to boys when I'm lost and pick me up from the bar when I need it (these two I am always grateful for).

Thank you for reiterating that God is real.

Your 20s seem to be a constant existential crisis. Seeing you grow into a beautiful and intelligent woman makes me remember the things that really matter in life. Hearing you sing church songs after mass lets out reminds me to keep a light heart. Seeing you succeed in everything you do makes me so proud. I know I can't claim you as my daughter, but you bring so much happiness into my life.

This list will never end, so just know that I love you.

Thank you for being you. This list could literally go on for eternity, just like my love for you. (Super corny, but the opportunity was there and I just had to.) I am forever grateful to you and can't wait to see the person you become. I can't wait for endless adventures with you and I hope for our future kids to share the same relationship we have.