Thank You Dad For Being A Great Role Model
Parents

I truly am blessed with a great father and male role model.

1028
Personal Photo

Just like we appreciate our mothers on Mother's Day, we should do the same for fathers on Father's Day. Just like mothers, fathers do a lot for their family. I may sound biased, but one of those fathers is my dad.

Let me start with saying he has always loved and supported me, especially during my struggle with Asperger's during childhood. He has always worked hard to provide for the whole family. When he first got married to my mother, they started out with very little income. He worked full-time at UPS while attending college at West Chester to pursue a bachelor's degree in earth science. On top of that, he did his best to help my mom with her anorexia bulimia. I don't know how he was able to handle all of that, but it makes me admire him more.

My father has also taught me important lessons. One is about work ethic and fairness. This may sound extreme to some people, but he had me do chores around the house without getting paid. This doesn't mean he never paid me for certain jobs, but he always had work that required me to provide free labor. When I saw my friends getting paid I thought "What the heck, my dad is being a jerk for this." He told me that my payment for the work was living under a roof, getting food, playing video games, etc. He was trying to make me realize it was a way of paying my fair share for living at the house. It took me many years to appreciate that lesson. It made me value work and not become entitled. In comparison to the little bit I had to do around the house and the huge amount of money he and my mom had to pay for bills, I recognized that his rule was not harsh.

In connection with my work ethic, he also taught me to go beyond the minimum required of work. To care about the end result just as much as I cared about the pay or benefit.

Another lesson that has always stuck out to me is what he taught me about biblical manhood. Nowadays, I hear him say things like "Where are the men?" What he means is why are there not more men taking the initiative to help others, build stronger communities, and speak the truth. He has striven to be a good example of an upright Christian man that is truthful and respectful to all people. No exaggeration, but he is one of the best examples I have seen of biblical manhood. He does not do locker room talk or objectify women. He is always willing to go out of his way to help others. He is respectful and cares about justice. These qualities stick out to me. As a result, I have imitated them and have become the man I am today.

I appreciate my dad's sense of humor, as well as his honesty. That is one reason why I tease him that he is Mike Baxter, Tim Allen's character on "Last Man Standing."

Thank you, Dad, for being a great role model to me.

I am thankful to God for giving me a great father. I hope to also be a good role model as a guy, especially if I become a father down the road. To those of you reading this, if you appreciate something your father has done to help you in your development, don't hesitate to thank him. I cannot count how many times I have thanked my father. Your thanks provide feedback to your father, letting them know they are doing something right.