Thank You, Blood Wedding

Thank You, Blood Wedding

The gayest rehearsal process of the semester.

22
Thank You, Blood Wedding
Trent Williams

I'm a Theatre major. I'm involved in at least two productions at any given time during the school year, not to mention any involvement in any other organizations I'm a part of (like my SLU or sorority). In the past year, I have had the amazing privilege of working on different aspects of each production, barring Spring Senior Projects.

I acted and did the Sound Design for An Enemy of the People in October, served as Publicity Coordinator for “Orchesis 16/17”, learned to work on Lights and worked Sound for Androcles and the Lion and am currently acting in Blood Wedding. I acted in Instant Theatre: A 23-Hour Play Festival, acted and lighting designed for “One-Acts 2016” and Assistant Stage Managed for the Fall Senior Project, The Art of Remembering. Throughout this year, I have learned a lot more than I thought I would about the different aspects of a production. And not just through my experiences in participation, but also through the theoretical, technical and literature-based classes I have taken.

But Blood Wedding is different. Aside from the fact that I feel an affinity to it since the original script was written by Federico García Lorca, a gay Spanish writer who I studied in high school, I was drawn to the production.

I had never been in a Faculty-directed production before the start of this year. I was very excited to work with them, and even more excited when I was cast in Blood Wedding because I knew I would be working with Dr. Ed Kahn. Ed’s directed some of my favorite shows throughout my time at OWU and I was looking forward to being a part of the rehearsal process.

But as soon as we started rehearsals, I knew Blood Wedding was something different for me. I’ve always liked theatre that’s straightforward. I like metaphors and representations, but I can understand and enjoy it in a better way if it’s more realistic than anything else. An Enemy of the People was that. Blood Wedding is not. A lot of the lights and music is more representational than practical, the scenery is not at all realistic, and only a single character has a name. Halfway through the rehearsal process, I wanted to give up. It was nothing like what I liked, and it was more challenging and repetitive than I thought it would be.

It wasn't until much later than I realized how helpful this process was to my development as an actress and a student. Ed Kahn has allowed me to do so much with such a small role, and it means so much to me.

So, thank you, Blood Wedding, for being the show you are, and for this amazing process.