An Open Letter to my Boyfriend's Mom

An Open Letter to my Boyfriend's Mom

Thank you.

1593
An Open Letter to my Boyfriend's Mom
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_SJMFQdEzG.jpeg

To my Boyfriend's Mom, 

Before meeting you, I was petrified with worry. To meet the woman who raised the man I had fallen so deeply in love with was almost paralyzing. You are the most important person in his life, so naturally, I was desperate for your approval. Hearing friend's horror stories about girlfriend's meeting their boyfriend's parents for the first time, I so hoped our name would not be added to that list. Man, was I way off on that one. There are a few things I would like to take a moment to *anonymously* thank you for. 

Thank you for welcoming me. 

From the first moment I met you, you welcomed me with an open mind, and a caring heart. Thank you for making me feel comfortable in your home, and ensuring I was always welcomed. Thank you for welcoming me no matter how tired, un-put-together I looked. Thank you for inviting me to family get together. I was taken aback the first time I met your incredible, large, genuine, loving, tell-it-like-it-is family where everyone is excited and happy to be a part of. As you know, my family roots are not strong so as you can imagine, I felt overwhelmed. But the way you have adopted me into your family is heartwarming. I can not express the amount of love I have for you and all your siblings. 

Thank you for raising the most incredible man. 

There are no words to describe the amount of love I have for your son. He is the most head strong, dedicated, passionate, loving man I had ever met. Because of him I strive to be a better person each and every day. Thank you for instilling in him how to love, and respect another human being. The amount of love he shows me fills my heart. He has the utmost respect for all, and as you know, is a giant teddy bear. From the first moment I met him, I knew he had such a kind soul. Thank you for raising him to be the man of my dreams. 

Thank you for trusting me with your son. 

From the first moment I laid eyes on your son, I knew my world was going to change. I knew somewhere deep down, at age 16, I had laid eyes the man I was going to spend the rest of my life with. Thank you for guiding me, and trusting me with your son's heart for these last 6 years. You raised him, watched him grow, were there for all of his up's and down's, and ensured he would always stay afloat. So I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to be his hook-line-and sinker. Thank you for reeling us in when we have sunk to the bottom. For showing us how to be functioning adults, and loving us with all of your heart. 

Thank you for not comparing me to anyone else.

Before your son and I had met each other, we both had pasts. We had both experienced make-up's, and break up's. We, ourselves have even experienced some speed bumps along the way. But not once, had you ever compared me to anyone else, and for that I thank you. Although, some times I comment search, just to ensure you truly do approve of me; and I am thankful you have never called me out on it. I am thankful you treat me as your "future ex-daughter in-law"� (family joke), and not just another girlfriend. I am thankful for the amount of time and dedication you put forth into our relationship. Throughout the endless trust you have bestowed in me, I can make you a promise. I promise to love, and respect your son each day for the rest of our lives. I promise to grow old with him, and to do everything in my power to make him happy. I can make that promise with no hesitation, or second thought. 

Thank you for loving me. 

This is the section that I know will make me cry, happy and emotional tears. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for treating me as your daughter. Thank you for watching me grow, pushing me to succeed, and celebrating my accomplishments with me. Although we are not as close as I would love to be, I am thankful for the amount of time and energy you put into loving me. You have been a mother to me, when my own mother had fallen through. You have showed me what love and compassion towards another human being is. I can not wait for the day where you help me pick out my wedding dress, help pick out your granddaughter's nursery colors, and help me *secretly* disapprove of her boyfriend when she is grown. I can not wait for a future with your son, thanks to you. 

I am forever thankful for you. 

With Love, 

Your son's girlfriend.