To My Mother On Mother's Day

To My Mother On Mother's Day

She is strong, she is kind, she is determined, and she won't let anything get in her way.

9
To My Mother On Mother's Day
Google Images

Dear Mom,

I appreciate you and everything you have done for me everyday, but Mother’s Day is a special day where I like to look back and be thankful for all the little things that you’ve done for me, like wiping my runny nose and spoon-feeding me both when I was a baby and when I got my wisdom teeth out, as well as the big things.

Thank you for always showing up to my choir concerts, both big and small. Sometimes the audiences weren’t big, but to me it was a full house when you were there. I know I was never a sporty kid and you always had my brothers to take care of so you couldn’t very easily partake in the PTO or be one of the moms at the concession stands at soccer games, but when you became the VP of the Choir Boosters, I was prouder than ever. You stood for and still do stand for something that means so much to me, and I appreciate that so much.

Thank you for being a stay-at-home mom. I know it was rough at times because of money, but some of my fondest childhood moments are those of you taking me in the little red Radio Flyer wagon down the road to the farmer’s stand around the bend or when you would read to me before bed. You always had time for me and the boys, which at the end of the day created a strong relationship between us.

Thank you for creating such an open and healthy environment where I can comfortably talk to you about sex. I am not afraid to ask you for advice or to just share my own experiences with you. You’re always there when I have health questions, and I appreciate that you created such an open environment, albeit the awkward times when you would give me “the talk” when you had me trapped in the car while we were on a road trip…multiple times.

Thank you for being strong when I didn’t know how. I was too young to understand everything that was going on during the divorce, but you were so strong and you persevered through it all. You found time for me and the boys while you found ways to make everything work for all of us. As I’ve grown I’ve gone through things that you’ve had to go through in your life, and although I was angsty and stubborn and didn’t think anyone understood me, you did. You knew what I was going through and despite the back talking (I’m sorry) and determination to get through things on my own, I always took your advice to heart and it did help in the end. I just had to learn the hard way first unfortunately, but that’s life.

Thank you for giving me an artist’s eye to see the pain and heartache in life, but also to see the wonders and beauties of the world. The pain and heartache are actually okay, don’t feel bad about them. They make the beauties so much more beautiful and the wonders so much more wonderful.

Most of all, thank you for being the strongest person I know. You take charge when you have to and you know what you want in life. You always have been and always will be my rock.

Love,

Your Daughter