Thank You To The Guy That Helped Me Grow

"Who I aim to be and who I am without you."

74
Samantha Berkowitz

When people say you will change in college, it is hard to understand what that really means until it happens. The different people you interact with everyday help you along the way whether you know it or not. People’s opinions and views tend to help you form your own, whether they are the same or different. This is only the beginning of a four-year journey and I’m glad the people I have met along the way have been a part of it. When you think about people that have shaped you as a person the usual response is: mom, dad, close friends, but when I think about it I would add you to that list.

You pushed me outside my comfort zone in the most positive ways. Being the strong headed (and stubborn) person that you are, really forced me to make decisions, which is something I tend to struggle with. You made me think for myself and stand proudly with my decisions or opinions. You gave me a sense of confidence, a splash of courage and some sassy comebacks.

I learned about something new, something I didn’t have much knowledge about before meeting you. Even though I’m sure it was painful trying to explain all the basics to me about something you know a lot about. I appreciated the dedicated time that we took to really break it down for me. I enjoyed hearing your opinions and thoughts, which helped me form my own about each topic and be more informed about what is going on in the world.

I can be pretty high strung sometimes, but you taught me to loosen up and learn to relax. In the moment everything seems to be top priority and the end of the world, but they usually aren’t that big of a deal or as big as I make it seem. Not saying I never stress anymore (that will just never happen), but I have learned to stress less and to put things in perspective. Somethings just aren’t worth stressing about because later they won’t matter. There is time for work and time for play, it’s a balance that you have taught me.

From the beginning to now I would say we have made strides in our ways, better or for worse. We made some realizations along the way about each other, but I think in the end we made the better decision for the both of us, friends. I’ve taken this time to take this all in and I’ve come to the realization that it is time for me to think about me. It’s time to do what I want and what I need. As the academic year comes to a close within the next couple of weeks and summer approaches I am ready to take on the second year of college as my independent whole self, singular self. So thank you for pushing me out of my comfort zone and showing me that with a little confidence and courage anything is attainable, but now it’s time for me to show the world me and me alone. Who I aim to be and who I am without you.

Even though sometimes it is hard to see in the moment, everything happens for a reason. With meeting new people comes introducing yourself to new ideas and ways of life. This can be for better or worse, but that’s how life goes. If for the better, it will be beneficial and you'll be happy that you did it. If for worse, it will teach you a lesson and make you stronger. Make a meaning out of the life you live. Do something outside of your comfort zone, experience something new and most importantly find yourself in this great big world.