Thank God I Was Raised As A Farm Kid

Thank God I Was Raised As A Farm Kid

If someone were to ask me what my top 10 favorite memories of all time are, at least 8 of them would be memories I made on the farm.

69
Thank God I Was Raised As A Farm Kid
Sarah Daentl

Nearly 90 percent of my ancestors were farmers, so when I say farming is a family tradition, I’m not exaggerating. When it comes down to it, there’s no other tradition I would rather be a part of. I am and I will always be a proud farm kid, regardless if I personally don't become a farmer.

Living on a farm almost your entire life will teach you a thing or two, and the person I am today has prospered from everything farm life has given to me.

The farm was my playground.

I am more adventurous and out going today because I grew up in a world that had little to no boundaries, and too many places that needed to be explored. If you grew up like I did, you probably had big yards, grassy fields, barns, machine sheds, and acres of woodland to explore. You probably climbed trees like a monkey, and would read books or watch the clouds roll by while sitting on the branches. The haymow was probably your favorite place to build super top secret forts, and the corn field was most likely a go to hiding spot. The fun things you could do and the sticky situations you could get yourself into were endless, and more than likely you and your siblings made a pact to never tell mom and dad what you actually did that day.

Animals were my friends away from school.

Animals were my best friends growing up. Neighbors were basically non existent and if they did exist they were other family members, so either siblings became the best friends or the animals did. The farm cats suddenly got names and become house pets (that "HAVE TO STAY OUT SIDE” according to mom). Let me tell you, naming the calves and the barn cats brings you closer to the entire farming experience at a young age, and it also brings along with it a unique love and respect for all animals. I am more nurturing, gentle, and patient because I grew up with these furry friends; the little cuddly ones, and the large hoofed ones.

I learned the value of hard work.

A resilient work ethic was instilled in me at a young age because I was taught through example. Waking up before the sun does to do chores and working with animals until after dark makes for very long days, and I watched as my family put in endless hours to put food on my table and yours. My dad, uncle, cousins, and grandfather all put in long work days filled with immense amounts of strenuous labor, which made me realize that success doesn't come easily, and that hard work has no short cuts. I learned that if you do something right the first time, you don't have to do it again, which is helpful when the list of things to do has no end. Growing up around agriculture made my realize that nothing in any career is guaranteed. Some years the crops will be bountiful, but other years not so much. All you can do is learn from mistakes and work harder to improve your work ethic, your knowledge, your skills, and most importantly your business.

I made millions of unforgettable memories.

If someone were to ask me what my top 10 favorite memories of all time are, at least 8 of them would be memories I made on the farm. Whether I was getting into trouble with my siblings, hanging out with my show cows, or helping my grandpa or dad with chores, I was always having fun. I usually had a smile on my face because all I wanted was to be like my dad. Him, and all of my farming relatives, taught me many important life lessons that I will put to use for the rest of my life. The spectacular moments on the farm turned into some pretty rewarding memories, and for that I will always be thankful that God made me a farm kid.