When Your Testimony Doesn't Match Your Tattoo

Religion doesn't make you a Christian, and your testimony may not match your tattoo.

264

Religion doesnt make you a Christian, and your tattoo doesn’t represent your testimony.

Many times, people get a tattoo to represent something that means something special to them. A cross for salvation, the birthday of their deceased grandparent (I’ve never understood that one), or some other symbol to remember a special moment or person in their life. Here’s the deal, what about people who get tattoos about faith, but act in a way that represents anything but? I once met this girl that had “walk by faith” tattooed on her foot. Fun tattoo. However, her actions didn’t align with her tattoo. She talked about her religion and of going to church, but she was honestly a bad representation of Christianity.

The way she talked and acted led me to believe she was anything but a Christian. As a Christian myself, it was embarrassing to see someone that claimed to be a Christian acting in a way that didn’t even come close to representing Christ. The tattoo did nothing to further Christianity or point people to Christ. In fact, the tattoo could be a turnoff for people who aren’t Christians because the only faith she seemed to walk in was faith in herself. Simply getting a tattoo of a cross, Bible verse, or fish, doesn’t mean you become a better representation of Christ. In fact, if anything, it puts you on more of a platform, raising your responsibility.

Tattoos are permanent markings on your skin that will leave an impression on people you meet. When police ask for descriptions of a criminal, a tattoo is easily remembered. If you meet a new friend on the bus that has a tattoo, when thinking about them later, you will probably remember the tattoo. Tattoos can be a great conversation starter that leads to a conversation about Christ, but they can also do the opposite. If you are going to put permanent ink on your body, get something that you can wear well, and actually represent. Your faith should shine as a result of Christ living in you, not a tattoo on the outside of you.

If you need a tattoo to remind you of your salvation or show people you are a Christian, you may need to re-evaluate some things. Jesus doesn’t ask us to tattoo ourselves in the representation of, or respect for Him, He simply asks us to serve Him and live our lives in a way that shows He is living in us. We don’t need a tattoo to do that.

Now, if tattoos are just your style, please do not think I’m just trying to come after you. If that’s your thing, your style, and you just think they’re cool, this does not apply to you. But if your reasoning is to show people your faith, save yourself some money and pain, and just live your faith out. Honestly, in today’s world, you may stand out more because you don’t have a tattoo, than if you do.